30th September 2017

Olufela Olomola had an effort ruled out for a foul prior to Sean Murray grabbing the game’s only goal with a driven attempt from 20 yards.

Nathan Smith was absent for the Glovers after picking up his fifth booking of the campaign in the midweek win at Chesterfield.

Omar Sowunmi replaced the 30-year-old in the heart of the Town defence for his first appearance since August 19th.

Other than Kyel Reid’s speculative 25-yard strike which went wide, chances were few and far between in the opening 10 minutes.

Colchester opted for the more direct approach early on, whereas Yeovil aimed to get the ball down on the deck to create an opportunity. 

Their first came when Matt Worthington’s shot was neatly controlled by Olomola and the Southampton loanee’s effort on the turn would have tested keeper Sam Walker if not for a deflection.

The hosts went close again seconds later through Otis Khan. A slick Town move led to Jake Gray skipping down the wing; he cut back for Khan who, in search of his sixth goal of the campaign, curled just past the post.

Glovers supporters might have thought Khan would have his second chance of the contest from a free kick following a foul on Francois Zoko. 

Instead, Tom James stepped up and his knuckle-ball technique forced Walker into a strong punch to prevent the first goal of the afternoon.

The Green and Whites thought they had a deserved opener in the 25th minute as Olomola netted. 

Dickson’s deep cross was volleyed home expertly by the young forward but his finish was disallowed because of a foul by Sowunmi in the six-yard box.

Despite being on the front foot, Darren Way’s side almost fell behind on the half-hour mark.

Drey Wright used good footwork to scamper to the byeline. His cross met Mikael Mandron and the ex-Eastleigh man’s header looked destined for the back of the net until James intervened to clear off the line.

Midfielder Murray followed up with two warnings which were well blocked but made no mistake just before half-time.

Teed up just outside the 18-yard line, the Republic of Ireland youth international got over the ball and dispatched low into the corner past a helpless Artur Krysiak.

Yeovil almost found a leveller in first-half stoppage time as Olomola fired over via a deflection and the proceeding corner was headed over by Sis Nelson. 

Captain James Bailey saw a left-footed shot go wide before he hit over with the same foot early in the second period.

And that was all of note, bar a glancing Sowunmi header, in a shot-shy half as Colchester held on for three points.

Yeovil Town: Krysiak, James, Nelson, Sowunmi, Dickson, Gray (Green 53), Bailey, Worthington, Khan, Olomola (Surridge 66), Zoko (Browne 75).
Bookings: Zoko 68.
Subs not used: Maddison, Davies, C.Smith, Santos.

Colchester United: Walker, Jackson, Kent, Inniss, Vincent-Young, Wright, Loft (Comley 69), Murray, Reid, Mandron, Hanlan (Guthrie 90).
Subs not used: Gilmartin, Lapslie, Kpekawa, Kabamba, Odelusi.