5th January 2019

After a quiet start for both sides, the Greater Manchester outfit almost opened the scoring when Neil Danns was only denied by the post after 15 minutes.

Jordan Green went close to calling the visiting keeper into action moments later before the Shakers broke the deadlock just past the midway point of the half. 

Persistent work from Jay O’Shea led to Nicky Maynard tapping in from inside the six-yard box to make the difference at the break. 

Looking more lively in the second half, Bevis Mugabi drew a good save from the visiting goalkeeper in a bid to avoid back-to-back defeats but it wasn’t to be as Bury left Somerset with all three points.

Moving away from the 4-4-2 formation used for the majority of the season, Darren Way opted for three at the back as three alterations were made to the starting eleven. 

Mugabi and Shaun Donnellan came in for Adel Gafaiti (who wasn’t 100% fit) and Rhys Browne (ill) to partner Gary Warren in defence, forming a three in front of the recalled Nathan Baxter in goal. 

With Browne not well enough to make the bench he was replaced by Academy graduate Daniel Ojo, joining 17-year-old striker Devon Arnold who on Tuesday became the youngest player to represent the club since entering the EFL

With Yeovil’s 3-4-1-2 matching the Shakers lineup it made for an uneventful opening 10 minutes, with both sides feeling their way into proceedings on a bitterly cold day in Somerset.

Having sized each other up it was the visitors who were first to go close to opening the scoring, when Danns’ curling strike looked destined for the back of the net only to cannon off of the post and into the arms of a relieved Baxter. 

Providing an instant response at the other end, the Glovers themselves hit the woodwork when Green’s strike from the angle hit a combination off the outside of the post and side netting to almost worry Joe Murphy.

Although Bury enjoyed the lion’s share of possession it remained a low tempo affair at Huish Park until the game’s opening goal with 25 minutes on the clock. 

Nicky Adams’ free-kick was half-cleared to O’Shea who did well to recycle possession and fire in a low cross for Maynard to sweep home from close range. 

With their goal lead Ryan Lowe’s side were happy to play with little urgency, whilst the green and whites struggled to get going in an attacking sense.

Settling into a low tempo affair neither goalkeeper was to be called into action following Maynard’s 10th of the season as the visitors kept their goal-lead at the halfway stage.

Needing to find a way back into the match the hosts switched to 4-3-3 for the second half, with Tom James moving into a holding midfield position and Fisher between Zoko and Green up front. 

With just one shot registered in the opening 45 minutes the Glovers doubled their tally on 52 minutes and it almost brought an equaliser. 

Carl Dickinson’s free-kick was only half cleared and from Alex Fisher’s flicked header, Mugabi was left unmarked in the box to volley at goal and force Murphy into a smart save.

Keeping in search for a leveller the hosts then had a strong claim for a penalty waved away just past the hour-mark when Sessi D’Almeida seemed to be brought down by a combination of two Bury defenders, only for referee Nicholas Kinseley to wave play on.

Enjoying more territory after the restart the shots on goal continued to come for Way’s side, albeit lacking accuracy. 

James lashed a strike over the bar from 25 yards before Green suffered the same fate after collecting Dickinson’s ball in from the left, as the clock began to run down.  

Inside the final 10 minutes Town failed to call Murphy into action once again, slumping to a second straight defeat at Huish Park to continue the disappointing run of form.

Yeovil Town: Baxter; Mugabi, Warren, Donnellan; James, Santos (Gray 51′), D’Almeida, Dickinson; Green; Fisher, Zoko (Arquin 71′).
Bookings: Warren 13′, D’Almeida 78′.
Subs not used: Nelson, Gafaiti, Ojo, Olomola, Arnold.

Bury: Murphy; Aimson, Thompson, Stokes; Adams, Danns (O’Connell 79′), O’Shea, McFadzean; Mayor; Lavery (Telford 87′), Maynard (Moore 73′).
Bookings: Lavery 50′, McFadzean 71′, Murphy 90′.
Subs not used: Moloney, Cooney, Hulme, Dagnall.