26th August 2017

Rhys Browne profited from some slack defending to give Yeovil the lead on 27 minutes and in turn net the first EFL goal of his career.

Southampton loanee Olufela Olomola rounded things off late on, finishing off a blistering burst with a delightful strike to take the green and whites’ points total to six.

Manager Darren Way restored Browne to the wing in one of two changes to his side that lost at Forest Green Rovers last weekend.

Elsewhere, Millwall loanee Sid Nelson made his debut in defence as Town lined up in a 4-4-2 formation.

Coventry, dented by a first defeat of the season to Newport County, were lightning quick out the blocks, creating the first chance after 30 seconds.

Winger Jodi Jones scampered 30 yards downfield and powered a left-footed shot that Artur Krysiak smartly parried to safety.

Ex-Dagenham & Redbridge winger Jones proved the visitors’ main attacking outlet in the opening exchanges and he tested Yeovil’s resilience once more with a low, devilish cross which Nathan Smith did well to clear.

The game’s tempo slowed as it reached the 20-minute mark, as Marc McNulty swiftly ended a dangerous Sky Blue counter-attack with an effort that found the top of the Thatchers terrace rather than the back of the net.

At the other end, Olomola used his strength to usher the ball back to Otis Khan whose strike looked destined for the top corner but Francois Zoko accidently intervened.

Then McNulty wasted a gilt-edged chance from the edge of the area before the Glovers capitalised on a defensive mix-up to take the lead.

Neither Coventry goalkeeper Liam O’Brien or defender Chris Stokes took ownership of Khan’s searching ball over the top and Browne took advantage to slot into an unguarded net.

The remainder of the first period lacked real quality in front of goal, showcased by Liam Kelly’s adventurous volley from distance, which sailed high and wide.

After the interval, Duckens Nazon hit a shot into the advertising boards and Bevis Mugabi glanced a header off target, before Coventry had two good attempts to restore parity.

Tony Andreu bent a 25-yard free kick on to the post – bizarrely winning a corner – and McNulty’s curler from the left-hand side of the area whistled past Krysiak’s far post. 

The latter’s next chance on goal brought the best out of Yeovil’s Polish stopper. 

A floated cross by Kelly was met by the former Sheffield United man and his header forced Krysiak into an excellent diving save, low to his right.

Boosted by their threatening chances, Coventry pushed forward in hope of an equaliser but time and time again found Town’s backline a tough nut to crack. 

The hosts’ rewards for their defensive efforts was a second goal to clinch three points.

Olomola surged down the right and buried a fierce strike into the far corner for his fourth goal in four league matches.

Town have scored 10 goals in the same period. A really pleasing statistic but the clean sheet will delight Way and the fans alike even more. 

Yeovil Town: Krysiak, Mugabi, Nelson (Davies 90), N.Smith, Dickson, Browne, Bailey, C.Smith, Khan, Olomola, Zoko.
Bookings: Olomola 15, C.Smith 56, Mugabi 90.
Subs not used: Maddison, James, Gray, Santos, Green, Surridge.

Coventry City: O’Brien, Grimmer, Willis, Hyam, Stokes, Doyle, Kelly, Jones, Andreu (Beavon 62), McNulty, Nazon (Biamou 81).
Bookings: None.
Subs not used: Burge, Kelly-Evans, Pearson, Stevenson, Vincenti.

Attendance: 3,754 (1,056 away)