29th February 2020

Yeovil Town’s endless run came to an end as the Red Dragons of Wrexham were slain 3-0.

A bizarre goal by Courtney Duffus, a simply stunning Luke Wilkinson free-kick and an Albi Skendi tap-in saw the green and whites claim a comfortable advantage.

In what was a brilliant team performance, the Glovers look to have got their swagger back, claiming three points in the league for just the second time in 2020.

Darren Sarll made four change to the side which narrowly lost to Boreham Wood last time out. 

The injured Rhys Murphy dropped out the side in the place of Marc Richards. 

Remeao Hutton returned to the right flank and Jimmy Smith began the game in a wide midfield role. 

There was a change between the sticks for Town as Liam O’Brien replaced Stuart Nelson.

The shotstopper was quickly called into action as the ball dropped kindly at the edge of the box to Luke Young but O’Brien was equal to his effort. 

O’Brien would continue to be involved in the thick of the game, but in unwanted circumstances as he fell to the ground unchallenged and stretchered off, with Nelson taking his place.

Yeovil would enjoy great success attacking down the flanks, especially through the returning Hutton. On numerous occasions the Birmingham loanee found space to cross but the ball would just escape his target. 

The Glovers would have the ball in the back of the net in the 28th minute, but it would be quickly disallowed as Wilkinson won his header by impeding Robert Lainton in the Wrexham goal.

Wilkinson would go close just six minutes later as he drifted to the back post from a corner and found himself unmarked but his side-footed effort hit the wrong side of the net.

Wrexham’s best chances largely came from Yeovil’s mistakes, and they didn’t come around often. In the 39th minute however, Hutton was caught in possession by Jordan Ponticelli but the Coventry loanee couldn’t capitalise as Nelson produced a stunning stop with his feet.

Yeovil would eventually take the lead in the 43rd minute, but in extremely bizarre circumstance. The Wrexham goalkeeper dropped the ball at Duffus’ feet whilst he was complaining to the referee, but the referee was unmoved and Duffus placed the ball into the empty net.

As the half came to a close, the green and whites thoroughly deserved their lead, despite the unusual circumstance it came through.

The second half adopted a similar tempo, with Town on top and creating chances. The first came in the 51st minute as Carl Dickinson almost scored directly from a corner, forcing a save from Lainton.

Yeovil’s second would come in a much more spectacular fashion. Wilkinson who had looked bright all afternoon stepped up for a free-kick from 30-yards out and hammered the ball beyond Lainton to double the Glovers advantage. 

Chances would continue to fall as the ball dropped to Duffus at the edge of the six-yard box after a brilliant counter attack, spearheaded by the sponsors ‘Man of the Match’ Worthington.

With the last kick of the game, Skendi would add a third, after the ball struck the post following Duffus’ initial effort, Skendi had the easiest of finishes to put the icing on the cake for the Glovers. 


Yeovil Town: O’Brien (Nelson); Hutton, Collins, Wilkinson, Dickinson; Lee (Cooper), Skendi, Smith, Worthington; Duffus, Richards (Dagnall).

Subs not used: Richards, Rogers.


Wrexham: Lainton, Pearson, Lawlor, Young, Ponticelli, Garratt, Kennedy, Thompson, Harris, Jarvis, Kellior-Dunn. 

Subs: Dibble, Oswell, Rutherford, Barker, Wright.