8th October 2019

A stunning close to the first half sees Yeovil Town return to winning ways with a 3-1 victory over Woking.

Rhys Murphy’s double and a cool Jimmy Smith finish were enough to secure victory under the floodlights at Huish Park.

Woking looked to find a way back into the game in the second half, with Ibrahim Meite scoring an unstoppable effort from distance, but it only proved to be a consolation for the Cards.

After the loss to Hartlepool, Sarll rotated his side making three changes.

Courtney Duffus returned from injury and replaced Gold Omotayo up-front.

The Gaffer also made two changes to his midfield as Matt Worthington and James Tilley made a return to the the starting eleven. 

New signing Chris Dagnall was named amongst the substitutes and made a second half cameo.

Yeovil made a bright start to the match, fashioning a shooting opportunity within the opening minute.

Matt Worthington’s first time cross fell perfectly for Jimmy Smith but the midfielder could not beat Craig Ross with his headed effort. 

The visitors would have a number of half-chances, the best being Dave Tarpey’s effort from the edge of the box which forced a save from Adam Smith.

The Glovers would take the lead in the 13th minute as Rhys Murphy emphatically headed home. A great delivery from Duffus was met by Tilley at the back-post, the Brighton-loanee then hooked the ball into the danger area to find Murphy with space to head home his sixth goal of the season.

Chances largely dried up after the goal, with neither side creating anything clear-cut. 

It would not be until the 41st minute for either side to fashion another opportunity.

Duffus showed great strength as the towering forward held off his marker and turned him inside-out to win a penalty for Town.

Earlier goalscorer Murphy stepped up to take the penalty, but had his initial effort saved. However, the forward reacted quickest to turn in the rebound and give the Glovers a two goal cushion. 

The green and whites were not done there, adding a third on the stroke of half time. Murphy was again involved as the striker played the ball across goal into the path of J.Smith. The midfielder then had an easy task, placing his effort on target and giving Yeovil a commanding lead.

After a fantastic final five minutes the Glovers held a strong lead at the break.

Murphy header would go close to adding his third in the 46th minute. Dickinson played a perfectly-weighted cross to the front post for Murphy to head on, but the striker had his flicked header saved.

The second half was played in a similar vein to the first, with chances few and far between.

It was always going to take something spectacular to spark the game back into life, and Meite obliged in the 68th minute with a stunning effort from distance leaving A.Smith stranded.

Woking looked to add their second just minutes later, Moussa Diarra went close with a header which  flew across the face of goal.

After coming on at half-time, Meite made a real impact for Woking, attempting to grab the game by the scruff of the neck. The Woking forward fired narrowly wide in the 82nd minute.

Town almost added a fourth as the game entered the closing stages. The ball fell nicely to Albi Skendi who was unmarked in the area, the midfielder’s effort was on-target but it was cleared off the line.

Despite pressure late on, Woking could not fashion another goalscoring opportunity, meaning Yeovil returned to winning ways.

Yeovil Town: Smith; Dickinson, Collins, Wilkinson, Hutton; Lee, Worthington, Tilley (D’Ath), Smith (Skendi); Duffus (Dagnall), Murphy.

Bookings: Hutton.

Subs not used: Bradbury, Omotayo. 


Woking: Ross; Casey, Cook, Diarra, Gerring (Meite), Parry; Ferdinand, Poku (Kretzschamar) , Donenellan; Tarpey, Loza (Hodges). 

Bookings: Meite

Subs not used: Howes, Collier.