7th April 2018

Brimming with confidence after back-to-back wins, the Glovers were dealt a blow after just three minutes when Elliot Lee opened the scoring for the promotion-chasing visitors.  

In an afternoon of frustration, Ryan Dickson received a red card for an adjudged pull on Danny Hylton in the box, with the prolific striker coolly converting the resultant spot kick on the 20-minute mark.

Adding to the dramatic first half, captain Francois Zoko received his marching orders for an off the ball altercation with Alan McCormack, as the Green & Whites suffered a difficult return home.

Making the most of their two-man advantage, Hylton added a third on 40 minutes before the striker was substituted having teetered on the edge of a red card having picked up a yellow for goading the home faithful.

With the second half becoming little more than a formality the hosts battled hard to keep it at 3-0, in a result which ended a good run of form. 

For a third consecutive match, Darren Way named an unchanged starting eleven sticking with the side that’s won its last two outings on the road. 

Returning to Somerset after wins over Colchester and Coventry, Corey Whelan, Connor Smith and Marcus Barnes remained the unfortunate three to miss out on a spot in the matchday 18.

After starting in electric fashion in Coventry on Monday, the Glovers were slower out of the blocks in Somerset and fell behind to the first meaningful attack of the game. 

Omar Sowunmi and Shaun Donnellan both got attracted to the same ball, meaning that when Hylton won the flick-on Lee was able to run through unchallenged and curl a strike past a hapless Stuart Nelson. 

Looking to strike whilst the iron was hot, the Hatters continued to remain on the front foot and almost doubled their lead in fortuitous manner with 13 minutes on the clock.

Donnellan’s clearance ricocheted off of Sowunmi into the path of E. Lee inside the box, only for Nelson to keep out the attacking midfielder’s close-range effort. 

In a difficult opening 20 minutes for the hosts, Way’s side were reduced to 10 men and fell two goals behind in a matter of moments. 

Ryan Dickson was dismissed for pulling Hylton as he looked to latch onto a rebound, allowing the pantomime villain to slam home the spot kick from 12 yards.

Becoming an ill-tempered affair, the home supporters’ frustrations were increased just past the half hour-mark when the talismanic Zoko was dismissed for a coming together with McCormack off the ball. 

With a monopoly on possession due to their numerical advantage, Luton added a third before the break when Hylton tapped in from close range, before the visitors’ top scorer was hauled off by Nathan Jones with a red card seemingly imminent. 

Becoming a pedestrian affair after the break, Luton were happy to play without urgency whilst Town struggled for territory or possession in their forced 4-3-1 formation. 

McCormack had a drive comfortably saved by Nelson and Pelly Ruddock Mpanzu blazed just over, as the hour-mark came and went in understated fashion.

Battling hard to keep the deficit at three against the league’s highest scoring side, Lewis Wing whipped a free-kick over the bar before having a deflected strike from inside the box well saved by James Shea as the final 10 minutes approached.

Sensing a change in tempo the Hatters ensured the closing stages became little more than a formality by stroking the ball about without urgency or intent, condemning the Green & Whites to a first defeat in four. 

Yeovil Town: Nelson; James, Sowunmi, Donnellan, Dickson; Green (Gobern 71′), Wing, Bird, Browne (Mugabi 21′); Zoko, Fisher (Surridge 55′). 
Bookings: Dickson 19′ (red card), Zoko 32′ (red card)
Subs not used: Maddison, Santos, Khan, Barnes.

Luton Town: Shea; Stacey, Rea, Sheehan, Potts; McCormack (Downes 77′), O. Lee, Mpanzu, E.Lee (Gambin 89′); Hylton (Jervis 44′), Collins.
Bookings: Hylton 40′, Stacey 70′, McCormack 75′
Subs not used: Stech, Justin, Cornick, Mullins.