12th September 2017

Francois Zoko notched his fourth goal of the campaign to put the Green and Whites ahead in the first period.

AFC Bournemouth loanee Sam Surridge superbly finished Jake Gray’s quality cross to double Yeovil’s advantage on 65 minutes, but the Glovers had to settle for a draw as the visitors hit back courtesy of finishes from Adam McGurk and Kevin Ellison.

Darren Way handed a first Sky Bet League Two start to Surridge, in for the injured Olufela Olomola who is nursing a leg problem. 

Brazilian Alefe Santos was also granted his full debut with Gray and Tom James completing the list of alterations.

In swirling wind and pouring rain, the hosts fizzed the ball around with purpose in the opening exchanges and Otis Khan sent a dipping 25-yard effort just over Barry Roche’s crossbar on five minutes.

Santos was next to take aim for the Glovers but his shot skipped off the greasy Huish Park surface on its way into the Sondico advertising hoarding.

As the conditions worsened, the tempo slowed. Morecambe’s Patrick Brough didn’t get the memo, however, storming down the left and delivering for veteran frontman Kevin Ellison who hooked wide with his left foot.

That was closely followed by a tame volley straight at Artur Krysiak from forward McGurk – the game’s first chance on target.

Then right-back Aaron McGowan took advantage of a Ryan Dickson slip on the byeline, and McGurk would have had a simple tap-in from his low cross if not for Krysiak’s safe hands.

There was a little bit of a lull in the action midway through the first period before Zoko sparked the contest back into life.

The Ivorian crashed an attempt against the crossbar and a minute later gave Yeovil a deserved lead.

He intercepted a short backpass from centre-back Dean Winnard, rounded goalkeeper Roche and took a moment to compose himself due to the weather before stroking into an unguarded net.

Garry Thompson missed a good opportunity to level just after the interval, firing past the post and at the other end, Khan found Surridge in a great position inside the area but the youngster tried to lay it off for James Bailey to shoot instead of having a go himself and the chance faded.

Backed by the wind, McGurk raced in behind the Yeovil backline and fired narrowly past the far post just shy of the hour, before the Glovers added their second of the night.

A swift counter saw wide man Gray, on his second starting league appearance, produce a wonderful delivery into the corridor of uncertainty for Surridge to put his shot back across the keeper into the bottom corner.

Yeovil’s two-goal lead didn’t last long as striker McGurk lashed in an impressive volley to make it 2-1. 

The Shrimps completed an excellent turnaround with a familiar foe on the scoresheet.

Ellison, who boasted a record of three goals in his last four against Town prior to the match, wriggled free from a host of bodies to nod home a long Michael Rose throw and send a sparse away following into raptures.

Both managers made late changes in search of a winner but it proved in vain and the contest ended all square. 

Yeovil Town: Krysiak, James, Nelson, N.Smith, Dickson, Gray (Browne 88), Bailey, Santos (Worthington 82), Khan (Green 80), Surridge, Zoko.

Bookings: Krysiak 58, N.Smith 90.
Subs not used:
Maddison, Davies, Mugabi, C.Smith.

Morecambe: Roche, McGowan, Old, Winnard, Brough, Rose, Osborne (Kenyon 88), Ellison, Wildig (Lang 62), Thompson, McGurk (Campbell 80).

Bookings: Old 17.
Subs not used: Nizic, Fleming, Lund, Muller.