28th September 2019

In a fiery affair between two sides battling for promotion, Yeovil Town came out on top thanks to Jimmy Smith, Charlie Lee and a calamitous own-goal. 

Bromley would play almost the entire match with defender Chris Bush in goal after Mark Cousins was injured in a collision with Rhys Murphy.

In a game filled to the brim with talking points, the Glovers would claim the three points to extend the club’s winning run to seven. 

Darren Sarll made one change from the side that beat Aldershot on Tuesday night.

Midfielder Lee returned to the side after a overcoming a back injury, replacing Albi Skendi at the base of Yeovil’s diamond.     

The game began with a lengthy delay, Murphy and Bromley goalkeeper Cousins collided after chasing a loose ball. Both players were seemingly knocked out and both sides were forced into a change. Murphy was replaced by Lawson D’Ath and due to the Ravens not having a substitute goalkeeper Cousins was replaced by Chris Bush in the net.

After a 17 minute stoppage, play resumed with Cousins stretchered off the pitch and Murphy walking down the tunnel to be examined by the physio.

The visitors would take the lead with the first chance of the game in the 19th minute, after Alfie Doughty’s floated cross was the flicked across goal by Joe Kizzi, the ball fell into the path of Michael Cheek to slot home the opener. 

Doughty’s bright start continued as he burst beyond Craig Alcock and made his way one on one with Adam Smith. However, the Yeovil goalkeeper stood tall and denied Bromley their second of the afternoon.

The green and whites would equalise in the third minute of the 19 added on for stoppage time. Some great work from D’Ath sent his marker flying, the midfielder then sent in an inch-perfect delivery which was met by J. Smith to emphatically head home. 

Lee would go close just minutes later, after his long-throw was cleared by the Bromley back-line, the midfielder followed up and fired first time but his effort went narrowly over the bar. 

Earlier goalscorer Cheek spurned a great chance as the half came to a close, after a cross from Doughty, the forward connected with a diving header but his effort flew over the bar.

Half-time brought some much needed respite after a fiery affair, which the referee had struggled to control.

The second half began with Yeovil on the front foot. Hippolyte looked a bright spark after the restart, continually driving beyond his marker on the right flank.

Following a cleared corner, full-back Kizzi would go close for the visitors in the 57th minute as he lost his marker at the back post and headed into the side-netting. 

Omotayo spurned a great opportunity in the 66th minute, after some intricate passing, Alcock found himself in space to cross. The full-back found Omotayo excellently but the tall forward headed his effort straight into the gloves of Bush. 

Yeovil would take the lead thanks to a dreadful error by Bromley captain, Marc-Anthony Okoye. After Alcock’s cross, being put under pressure by Omotayo, the defender panicked and sent the ball through the legs of Bush.

The Glovers would add a third in spectacular fashion. Wilkinson floated a ball into the path of Lee who lobbed the goalkeeper with a wonderful looping header to put the result beyond doubt. 

In a unique turn of events, the referee sent off a Yeovil ballboy due to claims of time-wasting. 

The game would finally have a quiet spell in the final moments as Yeovil battled hard to claim all three points.


Yeovil Town: A.Smith; Alcock, Collins, Wilkinson, Dickinson; Lee, Worthington (Tilley), Hippolyte, J.Smith (Skendi); Murphy (D’Ath), Omotayo.

Bookings: Lee, Worthington, Omotayo, Wilkinson.

Subs not used: Bradbury, Hutton.


Bromley: Cousins (Holland); Kizzi, Wood, Anthony Okoye, Coulson (McCoulsky), Cheek, Bingham, Bush, Hackett-Fairchild, Rees, Doughty (Clifton).

Bookings: Bush, Kizzi.

Subs not used:  Mekki, Klass.