24th February 2018

In a tight opening 45 minutes chances were few and far between, as Omar Sowunmi, Ryan Seager and Jake Gray went closest to breaking the deadlock. 

With Jonny Maddison untested, a largely positive first half was overshadowed by Gray being stretchered off late on.

Despite finishing the stronger of the two sides before the break, the Cumbrians took the lead just after the restart courtesy of Hallam Hope.

After conceding their first league goal at home since the 20th January the hosts rallied as Lewis Wing struck the post, but Town couldn’t break down a stubborn United side.

Darren Way made three changes from the eleven who suffered a first league defeat in six at Stevenage last weekend. 

Fresh from netting a consolation strike at the Lamex Stadium, Seager replaced Alex Fisher to partner Sam Surridge upfront as the two loanees were chosen to the lead the line.

Completing a trio of changes, Rhys Browne and Oscar Gobern came into midfield forcing Otis Khan to drop to the bench and Alefe Santos to miss out on a spot in the matchday 18.

On a bitterly cold afternoon in Somerset, it took both sides a while to warm up with only a chance a piece record by the midway point of the half.

With neither goalkeeper called into action, there was just a chance a piece to record by the midway point of the half. 

Hope drove a half-volley from the edge of the box comfortably wide before Tom James’ deep free-kick found Sowunmi in the box, whose first-time flick flew just over the bar with Jack Bonham beaten.

Becoming a subdued affair, the game burst into life just past the half-hour mark when Town engineered two opportunities to break the deadlock.

Looking mischievous as a strike partnership, Surridge was brought down on the edge of the box by Clint Hill, only for a good advantage to allow Seager to bend an effort just wide. 

Finishing the opening 45 minutes strongly the hosts went close again when Gray’s low strike from just inside the box was well saved by the advanced Bonham as Way’s side threatened. 

That proved to be the midfielder’s last meaningful involvement, as he was worryingly stretchered off following an innocuous coming together with a Carlisle defender.

Marring a relatively positive first half for Yeovil, both sides retreated to the dressing rooms to regroup in search of the elusive opening goal.

Having ticked past five hours without conceding a league goal at home, the Glovers would’ve been confident it would be them who found the first goal, only for Keith Curle’s side to prove otherwise. 

With 48 minutes on the clock, Town conceded their first goal at home in the league since late January, as Hope stroked the ball into the far corner after driving into the box. 

Way responded by introducing the electric pace of Jordan Green for Seager, but it was the visitors who went closest to notching the second goal of the game. 

Now past the hour-mark, Jamie Devitt wastefully blazed over from the angle before moments later Hope almost mirrored his opener, this time striking the base of the post. 

Struggling to form a reply it took the hosts until the final 20 minutes to threaten an equaliser. 

Moments after entering the fray, Fisher was twice denied by Bonham at point-blank range, as a mele in the box ended with Carlisle hacking Sowunmi’s low drive off the line. 

In a bid to preserve their unbeaten run at Huish Park the Glovers chucked caution to the wind in the closing stages and Wing blazed a well-hit strike onto the post, but it wasn’t to be as United inflicted a first home defeat in five and extended their unbeaten run over the Glovers to 12.

Yeovil Town: Maddison; Whelan, Sowunmi, James, Dickson; Browne (Fisher 71′), Gobern, Wing, Gray (Khan 45′); Surridge, Seager (Green 56′).
Bookings: Browne 55′
Subs not used: Nelson, Donnellan, C. Smith, Bird, Fisher.

Carlisle United: Bonham; Liddle, Hill, Ellis, Parkes; Twardek (Jones 46′), Joyce, Devitt, Hope; Bennett (Nadesan 64′), Stockton (O’Sullivan 74′).
Subs not used: Grainger, Campbell-Ryce, Gray, Lambe.