13th October 2020

Yeovil Town were held for their third draw of the season at The Shay, with 1-1 draw with Halifax on Tuesday evening.

After the hosts opened the scoring on the break in the first half, Courtney Duffus grabbed an equaliser for Town in the second half.

The Glovers huffed and puffed throughout, but couldn’t quite claim the advantage, with the Yorkshire based side holding out for a point.

Darren Sarll opted for a change of system for Yeovil, starting with a back three for the first time this season. Josh Staunton, Lee Collins and Luke Wilkinson all began at centre back, with Ryan Burke and Dan Leadbitter pushed further forward as wing backs.

There was a midfield three which included Charlie Lee, Albi Skendi and Matt Warburton with Rhys Murphy and Courtney Duffus leading the line.

The change of system meant Yeovil began brightly, pressing from out wide forcing the Shaymen deep into their own half, but clear-cut chances were few and far between.

The Glovers positive outlook meant a number of bodies were committed forward, leaving the back three exposed. Pete Wild’s side capitalised on the break, claiming the lead in the 6th minute. An incisive breakaway down the Halifax left found Jeff King at the back post to poke home.

After many a conversation about National League referees over the course of the opening fixtures, they continued to be a talking point as Murphy was seemingly denied a penalty after being held in the box.

Despite enjoying the majority of the ball, Yeovil lacked cutting edge throughout the first half, with Halifax deploying an effective counterattack on a number of occasions.

The hosts almost added a second as the half entered its closing stages, as the ball fell to former Glover Gold Omotayo in the box, the Swiss couldn’t quite get the ball out of his feet to pull the trigger.

Following a positive first half, Sarll would have been happy with his side’s overall performance, but thew lack of cutting edge saw the Yeovil boss make an attacking change with Gabby Rogers replacing Birmingham loanee Burke.  

The second half saw added cutting edge for Town, with chances coming in quick succession, firstly for Skendi and Murphy who both struggled to beat Sam Johnson in the Halifax net.

Yeovil finally levelled in the 54th minute, after some pressure from Murphy, the Halifax defenders failed to commit allowing Duffus to burst through and dink the ball beyond Johnson to level the clash.

Duffus’ equaliser saw the game open up, with chances continuing to fall at both ends, the best for Town falling to Lee and Warburton in quick succession, after the formers effort was saved, Northampton loanee Warbuton couldn’t quite turn the ball home.

Chances fell for Halifax too, with A.Smith producing an excellent stop to deny Gevaro Nepomuceno’s goalbound free-kick.

Ultimately, it wasn’t to be for the Glovers who now look to build on an imporved performance away to Dagenham and Redbridge on Saturday.,



Yeovil Town: A.Smith; Leadbitter, Staunton, Collins, Wilkinson, Burke (Rogers); Lee, Skendi, Warburton; Duffus, Murphy (Quigley)

Subs not used: Dickinson, Smith, Worthington.