18th July 2020

Yeovil Town’s season came to an end as Barnet were the victors in the play-off eliminator at Huish Park.

Barnet were able to weather a Glovers storm to complete a smash and grab victory through goals from Paul McCallum and Mauro Vilhete.

The enforced break allowed Darren Sarll to have an almost fully fit squad to choose from.

Lawson D’Ath was the only casualty due to fitness with 20-goal Rhys Murphy returning to the fold, bolstering the strike force and partnering Courtney Duffus up top.

In the middle of the park, Sarll opted for his usual diamond four formation which saw Charlie Lee, Matt Worthington, Myles Hippolyte and Albi Skendi.

The back-four took a familiar look with Remeao Hutton, Lee Collins, Luke Wilkinson and Carl Dickinson holding the fort with the experienced Stuart Nelson behind them.

The Glovers would a start strong dominating the ball until the drinks break, creating a number of half-chances. The best of these would fall to Duffus, after some great wing-play from Hippolyte, he found space for a cross which found Duffus, however the forward couldn’t quite get the connection he wanted.

A stunning individual run from Worthington almost saw the Glovers sneak ahead but his outside of the foot shot was hooked just wide.

Following the drinks break chances were few and far between, but robust challenges were aplenty. Barnet were in fact lucky to end the half with ten-men on the field as captain James Dunne came flying into Hippolyte on the half-way line.

At the break, the scores were level, but there were positives to take from the first half performance.

The second half brought added impetus, with Wilkinson striking the bar just a minute in! Following Lee’s corner to the near post, the towering centre back’s header smashed the crossbar.

Just minutes following, Duffus would make a chance for himself as he drove into the box but ultimately misfired.

Completely against the run of play, the visitors would strike first as the prolific McCallum finished beyond Nelson with the help of a kind deflection.

Frustrations would continue to grow as substitute Jimmy Smith seemingly put Yeovil level, yet the linesman and referee remained unmoved, allowing play to continue.

Yeovil would continue to huff and puff, with the likes of Hippolyte, Duffus and Lee all continuing to pile on the pressure in creating half-chances.

In the 85th minute, Barnet’s smash and grab job was completed as the ball fell kindly onto Mauro Vilhete head as he bundled the ball over the line.

Ultimately it wasn’t to be for Town, but this season has put Yeovil Town back on track.

Thank you for your support this season, we hope to see you soon.


Yeovil Town: Nelson; Dickinson, Collins, Wilkinson, Hutton; Lee, Hippolyte, Worthington, Skendi; Murphy, Duffus

Subs: Alcock, J.Smith, Cooper, Richards, A.Smith, Dagnall.