2nd February 2019

Targeting consecutive victories on the road the green and whites started brightly with a couple of early chances that worried the Boro goal. 

Stevenage’s best chance of the half fell to Michael Timlin early on but a save from Nathan Baxter to look out for on the highlights kept the score at 0-0, despite the hosts pressing for an opener before the break.

Into the second half the Glovers thought they’d taken the lead when Tom James’ wide free-kick landed in the back of the net having missed everyone in the middle, but an offside flag ruined any celebrations. 

Threatening to open the scoring the visitors then fell behind on 72 minutes when Boro’s captain Alex Revell pounced from close range. 

In a bid to rescue at least a point two strikers were introduced as the green and whites went for broke but it wasn’t to be as the hosts held on for the win.

Following a busy final week of the January transfer window, a much-changed Town side lined up in Hertfordshire. 

Signing less than 24 hours before kick-off, Craig Alcock marked his return to the club with a starting berth at right-back in place of the injured Josh Grant (foot), for his 122nd appearance for the club across two spells. 

In a further change in defence, Adel Gafaiti recovered from a nasty cut to the head to take Bevis Mugabi’s spot before three changes further forward.

Matt Worthington was awarded his first start since re-joining on a permanent basis for Gary Warren (groin), whilst Rhys Browne and Alex Fisher came into the front three in place of Yoann Arquin and Francois Zoko who was unnamed in the matchday 18 along with Alefe Santos and Alex Pattison (back).

All involved for the first time, the attacking trio of Tristan Abrahams, Courtney Duffus and Ryan Seager waited in the wings amongst the substitutes. 

Waiting for their chance to impress the Glovers almost got off to a dream start at the Lamex Stadium. 

Having absorbed some early Boro pressure the visitors set about hitting the hosts on the break and when Browne fed Alex Dobre on the left, the Bournemouth loanee was inches away from his low drive nestling in the far corner.

In an encouraging opening 10 minutes, it was Town who threatened to open the scoring once more when Jake Gray’s shot from the angle was claimed by Paul Farman, before Stevenage responded. 

After winning a corner the ball fell to Timlin in the box, and when his curling shot took a wicked deflection it looked destined for the back of the net but for a superb reaction save from Baxter, Yeovil’s man of the match last time out on the road at Mansfield. 

Developing into an entertaining match Darren Way’s side were dealt an early blow when a shoulder injury forced Sessi D’Almeida to be replaced by Bevis Mugabi just 17 minutes in. 

The change saw a reshuffle as Tom James moved into midfield, with Gafaiti now partnering the Uganda international. 

Perhaps unsettled by the substitution the hosts emerged on top as the half-hour mark approached, although Johnny Hunt’s shot off the post – which was flagged for offside – and Timlin’s off-target strike was all the Hertfordshire outfit had to show for their possession.

Putting on a strong defensive display under increasing pressure, Baxter was called into action again as the break edged closer.

Ilias Chair’s free-kick was parried away by the Chelsea loanee and after the play was recycled, he was on hand to pounce on the ball following Alex Revell’s knockdown. 

On the defensive for much of the opening 45 minutes, Town stood firm to preserve their cleansheet at the halfway stage.

After the restart, the match was slow to get going before a moment of controversy warmed things up just before the hour mark. 

James’ free-kick from out wide on the touchline nestled in the back of the net without seemingly taking a touch off of anyone in the middle, but the linesman viewed the event differently and raised his flag for offside. 

Not feeling hard done by, the visitors continued to cause more of a threat going forward and forced a smart save from Farman on 67 minutes.

Browne twisted and turned on the edge of the box to work space for a venomous shot which forced the Boro stopper to parry away. 

Looking lively the winger was at it again moments later to weave into the box, this time denied by a smart block as the game threatened to open up.

After building some momentum it was to be disappointment for the visitors, however, when Stevenage broke the deadlock. 

Jorden Gibson’s ball in from the right found target man Revell who volleyed home to force an instant reaction from the Town bench. 

Duffus was introduced for his debut in a bid to salvage a result, with Seager also introduced soon after as the Glovers ended the match with three strikers on the pitch. 

Sensing a dramatic finish James had a long-range free-kick as the clock ticked down but there was to be no repeat of his heroics at Carlisle earlier in the campaign as the effort flew over the bar along with any hopes of a late equaliser.

Stevenage: Farman; Wildin, Cuthbert, Nugent, Hunt; Makasi (Gibson 61′), Timlin, Byrom (Henry 87′), Chair; Guthrie, Revell (Iontton 80′).
Subs not used: Byrne, Wilkinson, Dyson, Adebayo.

Yeovil Town: Baxter; Alcock, Gafaiti, James, Dickinson; Gray, Worthington (Duffus 73′), D’Almeida (Mugabi 17′); Browne (Seager 80′), Fisher, Dobre.
Subs not used: Nelson, Rogers, Arquin, Abrahams.