29th July 2017

Connor Smith and Francois Zoko put the Glovers 2-0 up before Owen Howe’s penalty reduced the deficit at the break.

An unlikely strike from Jordan Rogers levelled the scores before Alefe Santos restored the lead minutes after coming on.

Smith doubled his tally with a sublime free-kick in the closing stages to round off a good solo and team display.

In a cloudy afternoon in Devon, the visitors almost took the lead with just five minutes on the clock as Otis Khan’s tempting cross whistled inches past the far post, grazing Jake Gray’s studs in the process 

Runners from midfield have been a constant theme throughout pre-season and the trait continued after 10 minutes when Connor Smith tried his luck from just inside the box to no avail.

But the Glovers fluent attacking performance in the opening exchanges soon paid off, as the ball fell to Irishman Smith 20 yards from goal before coolly curling an effort into the top corner with 16 minutes on the clock.

With a monopoly on possession Way’s side remained on the front foot, with Olufela Olomola having a shot deflected just wide and Tom James seeing a cross-cum-shot trickle past the far post as the game ticked past the 20-minute mark.

The relentless pressure told just before the half-hour mark, however, as Keston Davies’ long ball caused a defensive mix-up allowing Zoko to round an advanced Martin Rice and pass the ball into an empty net.

Despite failing to test visiting stopper Krysiak, Tivvy found an immediate way back into the match via the penalty spot.

After James was adjudged to have pushed Nick Hurst in the box, Howe confidently dispatched the spotkick from 12 yards to reduce the arrears.  

A goal for the hosts didn’t alter the pattern of the match with the Glovers remaining in control up until the break, with three alterations made at the halfway point.

Sowunmi, Browne and an unnamed trialist replaced Nathan Smith, Otis Khan and James Bailey, as preparation continued for the Sky Bet League Two season in just seven days’ time. 

The referee’s whistle re-started proceedings and immediately saw Town resume on the front foot.

Both James and Jake Gray fired venomous efforts off target following mazy runs, before Tiverton once again found the back of the net against the run of play. 

Krysiak’s attempted pass was cut-out by second half substitute Rogers, allowing the Yellows striker to walk the ball in for an unlikely equaliser with 51 minutes on the clock. 

Looking to immediately retake the lead, Olomola and Gray both watched venomous strikes fly wide, before substitute Browne cut inside and curled an effort into the arms of Rice.

Encamped in the Tivvy half the visitors retook the lead just past the hour mark, as another summer signing notched their first goal in green and white.

An angled ball over the top was expertly brought down by Santos, who emphatically drilled past Rice to make it 3-2.

Way’s side continued the flood the box with numbers in search of a fourth goal which their play largely deserved, and were rewarded with 10 minutes remaining.

Impressive throughout, Smith doubled his tally for the afternoon in stunning fashion, dispatching a 25-yard free-kick into the top corner to round off an entertaining afternoon in Devon. 

Tiverton Town: Rice, Hurst, Price, Landricombe, Gregory, Carter, Gardner, Rogers, Knowles, Bath, Howe

Yeovil Town: Krysiak, Alfei (Dickson 65’), Davies, N. Smith Sowunmi (46’), James, Smith, Bailey (Trialist 46’), Gray, Khan (Browne 46’), Zoko (Santos 64’), Olomola.