28th December 2019

Yeovil Town’s unbeaten run came to an end at Gander Green Lane as Sutton United ran out the 3-2 victors.

In what was the Glovers third televised fixture this season, it was once again defeat for Town as Harry Beautyman, Ben Goodliffe and David Ajiboye put Yeovil to the sword.

Yeovil would find the back of the net through Rhys Murphy and a lucky Albi Skendi flick, but it was not enough for Town to return to Somerset with any points.

Darren Sarll was forced into one change from the side which thrashed Torquay on Boxing Day.

After picking up an injury in the dominant win, club captain Lee Collins was forced out the side with Remeao Hutton coming in to replace him.

This meant Reading loanee Gabriel Osho moved into the central defender position alongside Luke Wilkinson after occupying the right back position on Thursday.

In a similar manner to our earlier meeting with Sutton, it would be a quiet start to proceedings at Gander Green Lane, with both sides feeling each other out.

As the game grew, Yeovil began to dominate the tempo, it was just that final pass that lacked to create any chance of note.

Yeovil would be made to pay for the lack of that killer pass, as Sutton would take the lead in the 24th minute, Beautyman capped off an excellently executed counterattack to send the hosts in front.

That lead would only last all of two minutes as Murphy would level with his 16th goal of the season. Myles Hippolyte broke into space on the left flank and sent in a cross that Murphy did not give up on for Town to level the scoring.

The goals opened up the game, with both teams sensing blood, and it would be Yeovil who added to their tally.

After Courtney Duffus opened up to shoot from the edge of the box, his drilled effort hit Skendi’s heel, awkwardly looping over Nik Tzanev’s head to put Yeovil in the lead through rather fortunate circumstance.

The hosts would then drag themselves back into the game just three minutes later, as Osho lost his marker, allowing space for Sutton to square the ball across goal and defender Goodliffe to tap the U’s level.

Yeovil would look to bounce back quickly, once again dominating the ball, but could do little to really test Tzanev as the half came to a close following Charlie Lee’s weak headed effort.

The second half began at an electric pace, with Town spurning a golden opportunity to retake the lead. After an excellent pass by Hippolyte sent Duffus clean through on goal, the in-from forward saw his effort strike the post.

The Glovers would be once again made to pay for missed chances as Sutton would reclaim the lead in the 62nd minute. A defensive mix-up allowed Sutton clean through on-goal with Ajiboye adding the finishing touch.

The errors forced Sarll into changes, bringing on Morgan Williams, Chris Dagnall and James Tilley shortly after the goal.

Despite Williams making Yeovil look more secure at the back, the forward changes did little for the Glovers in terms of chances created.

The hosts were efficient in seeing out the game, limiting Town into shots from distance and controlling the tempo of the game.

The final chance of the fixture fell to Lawson D’Ath who spurned an effort over from the edge of the box.

Ultimately it would be Sutton’s day at Gander Green Lane with Yeovil spurning another chance to go top.


Sutton United: Tzanev, John, Barden, Goodliffe, Davis, Beautyman, Eastmond, Ajoiboye, Wright (Randall), Milsom, Jarvis (Dundas).

Subs not used: Dudzinski, Bolarinwa, Wyatt.

Yeovil Town: Nelson, Hutton, Wilkinson, Osho (Williams), Dickinson, Lee (Tilley), D’Ath, Hippolyte (Dagnall), Skendi, Murphy, Duffus.

Bookings: Lee, Dickinson.

Subs not used: Worthington, Omotayo, Tilley, Williams, Dagnall.