1st December 2020

Yeovil Town’s search for a first league win continued as Eastleigh were the 3-1 victors at Huish Park.

Two first half goals from Ben Strevens’ side built a comfortable advantage which was only added to in the second.

Joe Quigley did find a goal in the second half as he bundled the ball home following a corner, but that did little to inspire a comeback as Yeovil fell to another defeat.

After adopting a 4-3-3 formation in the FA Cup, Darren Sarll opted for more of the same on Tuesday evening. Adam Smith began in goal, with Gabe Osho, Josh Staunton, Luke Wilkinson and Carl Dickinson making up the back four.

The midfield three was unchanged as Charlie Lee began alongside Albi Skendi and Matt Warburton.

The attacking three saw a debut for Tom Knowles on the right flank with Chris Dagnall and Courtney Duffus alongside him.

Despite defensive reinforcements, struggles at the back continued as it took just seven minutes for the visitors to open the scoring. Driving down the Yeovil left, Tyrone Barnett was given the freedom of the Yeovil penalty area to poke home the opener.

The goal did spark Yeovil into life, but the visitors did well to keep Town at arm’s length, with the majority of chances coming from the edge of the box through the bright Warburton and Knowles.

Yeovil’s best chance of the half fell on 21 minutes, a hopeful flick from Warburton fell perfectly into Dagnall’s path who powered beyond the Yeovil backline but couldn’t quite beat Joe McDonnell.

As Yeovil were unable to take their chances, fortunes were the opposite for Eastleigh who doubled their lead on 32 minutes. A defensive mix-up allowed Ben House to bare down on goal, and as A.Smith charged out he collided with the forward giving away a penalty which Joe Tomlinson effectively dispatched.

Throughout the first half, Town showed endeavour but lacked the cutting edge which Eastleigh certainly possessed.

The second half saw the Glovers increase the pace, with Lee forcing a save just one minute after powering a header on goal.

However, as the half progressed, Town seemingly lost their bite once again as Eastleigh added third. After Staunton was caught in possession, the deadly House pounced once again and emphatically fired beyond A.Smith to extend the visitors advantage.

Becoming Town’s top scorer for the season, Joe Quigley bundled home what turned out to be a consolation goal for Yeovil on 67 minutes following a corner.

Chances did fall for Town in the closing stages, but the Eastleigh defence was organised enough to limit Town to pot-shots, with Lee the only player to force a save on 81 minutes.

Late pressure saw Warburton force a heroic block but ultimately it wasn’t to be as the Glovers fell to another National League defeat.  


Yeovil Town: A.Smith; Dickinson, Wilkinson, Staunton (Leadbitter), Oso; Lee, Skendi, Warburton; Knowles (Murphy), Duffus, Dagnall (Quigley).

Bookings: A.Smith, Quigley

Subs not used: Palmer, Rogers