30th March 2019

Starting a new era under the interim tenure of Marmon, the green and whites enjoyed the better of the opening 45 minutes at Huish Park. 

Unable to break the deadlock, Town’s grip on the match loosened after the break and two goals in quick succession from Ben Willmott and Ben Kennedy saw the game drift from the hosts. 

Fighting until the end, Tom James grabbed a goal back to setup a tense final 10 minutes but Keanu Marsh-Brown returned to his former club to secure victory for the Exiles late on. 

Naming a starting eleven for the first time, Town’s new Interim Manager made three changes from the side that started seven days previously at MK Dons. 

Making a swap in each department, Academy graduate Daniel Ojo came in at left-back whilst Sessi D’Almeida returned from suspension for Jake Gray in the middle of the park. 

In the middle of a front three, top scorer Alex Fisher was recalled as veteran striker Francois Zoko dropped to the bench. 

Naming four strikers amongst the substitutes as part of an attacking looking matchday 18, Town were unable to call upon Omar Sowunmi (ankle), Rhys Browne (hamstring) and Alex Pattison (back). 

Bathed in spring sunshine and backed by a vocal home support, the off-field atmosphere proved to be the highlight of a tame opening 10 minutes as the Glovers faithful did their part as the 12th man. 

Having started as something of a non-event the hosts started to take control of proceedings and displayed some neat passing football on a zippy looking surface as the game’s first shot came as the 15-minute mark approached. 

Expansive play led to Alex Dobre’s shot deflecting into the path of Worthington, whose rasping strike from 20 yards came off of an Exiles boot to dip just over the bar.

Liking the football they were watching the bumper home crowd continued to do all of the singing inside Huish Park as they watched Dobre and James add further long-range attempts prior to Gabby Rogers almost notching a first professional goal. 

The Academy graduate – making his second straight start – turned Dan Butler inside out with some neat footwork before firing a right-footed shot just over the bar from range. 

Restricted to efforts from distance, James added to the tally by forcing Day to parry a 25-yard free-kick as the game ticked past the half-hour point. 

As close as the Glovers would get to an opener, they had to take confidence from what was otherwise a confident looking display. 

At the other end, Nathan Baxter remained largely untested with only a punch from a Willmott cross to deal with as the South Wales outfit were kept at arm’s length in the first-half.

Needing more of the same after the restart with some added potency in the final third, it was the Exiles who were first to trouble goal. 

Jamille Matt’s header sat up nicely for strike partner Harry McKirdy to strike, forcing Baxter to palm away from danger as the hosts survived an early scare. 

Looking less assured after the break the green and whites surrendered their first-half dominance to give County the lion’s share of possession, something they took full advantage of. 

As the clock ticked past the hour-mark Kennedy’s cross was stood up perfectly for Willmott to guide a header in off of the inside of the post to open the scoring. 

Needing a turnaround Tristan Abrahams was introduced off of the bench for Town but before he had the chance to touch the ball Michael Flynn’s side netted a second goal in four minutes. 

Having provided the first, Kennedy took the glory this time around as his shot from distance took a deflection to loop up and over a hapless Baxter to tighten their grip on the match. 

Taking time to settle themselves after two goals in quick succession for the visitors, the green and whites responded in determined fashion. 

Adding a second striker in the form of Courtney Duffus, the switch soon brought a result in front of goal as Abrahams’ in-swinging corner was skillfully flicked in at the near post by James for his seventh goal of the season. 

Throwing the game wide open, both sides threw caution to the wind and with numbers committed forward, Baxter had to show his agility to tip Willmott’s dipping volley over the bar inside the final 10 minutes. 

Acting as a warning, Newport restored their two-goal lead in second half stoppage time when Marsh-Brown lashed a strike into the top corner from the angle to kill off any hopes of some late Town drama.  

Yeovil Town: Baxter; Grant, Mugabi, Warren, Ojo; James, Worthington, D’Almeida (Duffus 70′); Rogers (Abrahams 66′), Fisher (Zoko 89′), Dobre.
Bookings: D’Almeida 26′, Fisher 51′, Grant 54′.
Subs not used: Nelson, Gafaiti, Gray, Seager.

Newport County: Day; Poole, O’Brien, Demetriou, Butler; Kennedy, Labadie (Dolan 72′), Sheehan, Willmott, Matt (Azeez 85′), McKirdy (Marsh-Brown 60′).
Bookings: Kennedy 37′, McKirdy 57′. 
Subs not used: Randall, Pipe, Bakinson, Crofts.