31st October 2020

Yeovil Town’s search for a win continued as Chesterfield ran out the 1-0 victors at Huish Park.

In a game of few chances, Tom Denton’s second half strike following an Albi Skendi mistake separated the two sides as frustrations continue for Yeovil.

Darren Sarll opted for a change of system for the Glovers, returning to a back four as injuries limited his options.

Morgan Williams made his second Yeovil Town debut as he lined up in centre back alongside Luke Wilkinson. There was experience on the defensive flanks as Carl Dickinson and Daniel Leadbitter began in the full back roles.

It was an unexpected start in midfield for Ryan Burke, who lined up alongside Charlie Lee, Matt Worthington.

The change of system saw a three-pronged attack for Town, with Albi Skendi, Matt Warburton and Joe Quigley leading the line.

The first half was characterised by its distinct lack of any action for either side.

A sight of goal was a rare sight, with Yeovil’s single chance falling to Warburton, who saw his flicked header fly wide of the mark.

Despite enjoying a lot of the ball, the visitors did very little in terms of chance creation, with the Glovers backline holding firm.

The second half saw both sides roll the dice, with chances beginning to fall.

The post was struck on 50 minutes as Laurence Maguire rose highest from a set-piece, however the defender was adjudged to have run offside.

Straight up the other end, Yeovil tested Kyle Letheren. After a driving run, Warburton found himself with room to shoot on the edge of the box but the Chesterfield shotstopper held the Northampton loanee’s effort.

With the game on a knifedge, it was either going to be individual brilliance or a mistake what separated the two sides, and in this game’s case it was the latter. As Skendi failed to clear his lines, the in-form Denton pounced, hammering an effort beyond A.Smith, claiming the lead on 70 minutes.

The goal sparked Yeovil pressure, and the broken record of a potential penalty continued for Town as substitute Rhys Murphy was seemingly clipped in the box.

Huffing and puffing, the green and whites could not blow down the Chesterfield defensive wall, as the visitors held on for an away victory.  


Yeovil Town: A.Smith; Dickinson, Williams, Wilkinson, Leadbitter; Lee, Burke (Rogers), Worthington (J.Smith); Skendi, Warburton (Murphy), Quigley

Subs not used: Palmer, D’Ath

Bookings: Quigley


Chesterfield: Letheren, Smith Sharman, Evans, Maguire, Buchanan, Weston, Butterfield, Kiwomya, Denton, Tyson.

Subs: Wharton, Denton, Rawson, Mandeville, Hollis