11th September 2020

Yeovil Town fell to pre-season defeat as Taunton Town were the 2-1 victors at the Cygnet Health Stadium.

The hosts would take a two-goal lead through goals from Nick Grimes and Gethyn Hill either side of the half.

Luke Wilkinson’s second half goal only turned out to be consolation in a game which was a strong test for Town.

Darren Sarll would adopt a familiar looking starting line-up.

The defence featured the return of Wilkinson who took a knock against Frome. Wilkinson was partnered by Josh Staunton with Carl Dickinson and Alex John either side. Adam Smith began the game between the sticks.

The midfield saw a return for Charlie Lee, with Matt Worthington, Albi Skendi and Gabby Rogers in front of him.

The attack featured last season’s first choice front two of Rhys Murphy and Courtney Duffus.

Murphy almost made an instant impact as a chance fell to him just one minute into the game. After a great drag back from Rogers, the ball came just too early for the last season’s top scorer who fluffed his lines.

The hosts grew into the game, with chances beginning to fall to them. Taunton almost scored the opening goal in wonderful fashion as Ross Staley fired a volley from 30-yards which flew narrowly wide.

Rogers looked bright on the ball for Town but at times lacked final product, most notably when he couldn’t beat Lloyd Irish from the edge of the box in the 21st minute.

Set-pieces were where Taunton looked most threatening, and they made one pay in the 28th minute as club captain Grimes headed home from a corner.

Yeovil pushed for an equaliser as the half came to a close, but at the break the Glovers would trail.

The first minute of the second half saw Town claim an opportunity from the spot, as Duffus was dragged down inside the box, Murphy stepped up to take the penalty but had his effort saved spectacularly by Irish, tipping the ball onto the post.

Despite Yeovil pressure, the hosts were clinical on the break and added a second in the 56th minute. After an initial save from A.Smith, Gethyn Hill was quick on his feet, beating the Yeovil defence to the ball and heading home the rebound

Yeovil’s heads didn’t drop and did attempt to fight back, and the Glovers eventually score in the 78th minute. Worthington’s well-weighted corner was met by Wilkinson at the back post who expertly headed home with a diving effort for an enthralling final ten minutes.

Following the goal, Sarll would make a number of changes with Dickinson, Wilkinson, Murphy and Duffus replaced by a number of our players partaking in our Elite Player Development Programme.

The young Glovers pushed hard, forcing the ball within the Taunton Town half on a number of occasions.

Ultimately, that pressure wouldn’t be enough as the friendly ended in defeat. Next up for Town is a trip to Dorchester on 15th of September (7:00pm).