6th March 2021

Yeovil Town fell to a 3-0 defeat in Derbyshire against Chesterfield.

Despite three wins on the spin, Yeovil’s good form was not replicated at the Technique Stadium, with Town struggling to create any chances of note, in what was ultimately a frustrating afternoon for the Glovers.

After Tuesday’s emphatic victory over Barnet, Darren Sarll opted for more of the same with an unchanged line-up. This meant Adam Smith began in goal, with Michael Kelly, Max Hunt, Billy Sass-Davies and Alex Bradley in defence.

Jimmy Smith on his 500th career appearance began at the base of the diamond, with Tom Knowles and Josh Neufville in the wider roles. Albi Skendi kept his position at the tip of the diamond.

Rhys Murphy and Reuben Reid once again combined up front.

Following a thrilling start on Tuesday night, the first half at the Technique Stadium couldn’t be further from that, with chances few and far between.

When opportunities did come, they were largely in the form of half chances, the first falling to Hunt who couldn’t direct his header following Kelly’s corner on target.

In truth, Yeovil struggled to get Murphy and Reid into the game throughout, with the forwards best chances coming from outside the box, when marked or off balance.

As the half progressed, Chesterfield became the more incisive of the two sides, with former Glover Tom Whelan a creative threat.

Whelan created a great chance for Jack McCourt on 23 minutes but A.Smith reacted well to turn his strike from the right channel over the bar.

With the half in its dying embers, the hosts would have the only clear-cut chance of the half, after Curtis Weston’s effort from distance was saved, Akwasi Asante pounced but turned his effort over the Yeovil goal.

Whoever scored first were likely to go on and win this one after a tight first half, and Chesterfield did that almost instantly in the second. With 47 minutes on the clock, Asante pounced on a lapse in concentration in the Yeovil defence to round A.Smith and take the lead.

This ultimately gave Chesterfield free reign to dictate the tempo, and whilst Yeovil tried to counter, the three central defenders of the hosts held firm.

Chesterfield struck again with 68 minutes gone. The always-bright Whelan came back to haunt the Glovers with his deflected effort from the edge of the box leaving A.Smith stranded.

Two became three on 77 minutes, with McCourt making up for his earlier miss. He emphatically hammered home despite Kelly’s best efforts on the line to complete a professional second half performance for James Rowe’s side.

Next up for Yeovil is a trip to high-flying Sutton United.



Yeovil Town: A.Smith; Kelly, Hunt, Sass-Davies, Bradley; J.Smith (Lee), Knowles, Neufville (Worthington), Skendi; Murphy, Reid (Quigley).


Subs not used: Dickinson, Dagnall