5th May 2018

Starting in impressive fashion, Town took the lead on the 10-minute mark when Jordan Green kept his composure in the box to find the back of the net. 

Keeping the Imps at arm’s length, a lifeline was wasted by the hosts when Matt Green’s penalty was well-saved by Artur Krysiak with the follow up cannoning back off the bar as the Glovers got the moment of luck their first-half performance deserved. 

Becoming a gritty defensive performance after the break, Town dug in to keep hold of their lead until the final quarter-of-an-hour when Tom Pett levelled it up. 

Neither side could find a winner late on as the campaign ended with a share of the spoils.

Darren Way made two changes for the final outing of the campaign, bringing in Corey Whelan and Jared Bird for the suspended Omar Sowunmi and Connor Smith who dropped to the bench, as Ryan Seager and Connor Smith missed out on the matchday 18.

Suffering a far from ideal pre-match preparation, the squad arrived almost an hour late to the ground after the team coach broke down. 

Eventually arriving at a sunny Sincil Bank, the Glovers showed no ill-effects following the disruption and got off to an almost dream start. 

Having shown defensive discipline to dampen a bright start from the hosts, the sell-out home crowd were stunned when Green gave Town an early lead. 

A long ball teased the pacey winger into a chase and after beating Luke Waterfall to the ball the former Bournemouth wideman poked a shot past Ryan Allsop from the angle for his fourth goal of the season.

Looking to spoil the Imps’ play-off hopes, the Green & Whites continued to frustrate Danny Cowley’s side and almost doubled their lead 10 minutes later. 

Bright play from Green and Otis Khan drove the visitors into the final third, a move which resulted in Lewis Wing curling a strike from range just over the bar as Yeovil continued to look liveliest going forward. 

Causing an edgy atmosphere amongst the 10,000 home supporters, Lincoln’s direct gameplan was rendered ineffective in the opening half-an-hour before the Lincolnshire outfit were handed a lifeline.

A long ball into the box saw Bevis Mugabi and Green grapple for possession only for the ball to strike the hand of Town’s defender forcing referee Eddie Ilderton to point to the spot. 

Without a save to make beforehand Krysiak made his first stop count as he guessed right to palm away Green’s spot kick, earning some luck to see the City striker clatter the rebound back off the bar from close range. 

Looking to make an immediate amends, the striker lashed a venomous shot just wide from the edge of the box as the hosts’ best spell of pressure came and went. 

At the other end, Francois Zoko came within a few inches of making it 2-0 when his low strike from inside the box trickled just wide in what proved to be the last meaningful attempt on goal before the break. 

After an impressive opening 45 minutes, the Glovers had to begin the second period on the defensive as Lincoln looked to ensure their play-off push remained in their own hands. 

Still unable to test Krysiak between the sticks, Town remained strong at the back as a series of blocks and last-ditch challenges kept the hosts at bay. 

Threatening mostly from set-pieces, a Waterfall header was blocked by Corey Whelan from a corner before Matt Rhead could only direct a header onto the roof of the net. 

Pinning the visitors back, Neal Eardley drove a shot from 20 yards comfortably into the arms of Krysiak as the clock started to become the enemy of the promotion hopefuls. 

Operating with three at the back City threw caution to the wind and on 77 minutes finally found a way to breach a determined Yeovil defence. 

Jordan Williams’ cross was headed clear by the imperious Mugabi only for it to fall to Pett on the edge of the box who curled in his first goal for the club. 

Sending the 10 thousand home fans into raptures the goal ensured their top seven finish regardless of results elsewhere, whilst the Glovers headed into the summer break with a final points tally of 48 in Sky Bet League Two. 

Lincoln City: Allsop; Eardley (Williams 75′), Wilson (Pett 56′), Waterfall, Wheaton; Wharton, Bostwick, Woodyard; Palmer (Anderson 64′), Rhead, Green.
Bookings: Green 61′
Subs not used: Farman, Long, Chapman, O’Hare.

Yeovil Town: Krysiak; Whelan, Mugabi, Donnellan, James; Green (Browne 73′), Wing, Bird, Khan (Gobern 67′); Fisher (Surridge 80′), Zoko.
Bookings: James 71′
Subs not used: Phillips, N. Smith, Santos, Barnes.