Here’s five things you need to know about Marc Laird.
1) Marc James Peter Laird is a Scottish midfielder who will turn 30 in January. He was described as a typical “box to box midfielder” by his previous boss, Rob Edwards.
2) Marc started at Manchester City but left without making a first team appearance. Loans at Northampton and Port Vale gave him a taste of first team action.
3) A move to Millwall came in 2007 and it was here where he spent the most time, playing nearly 100 games including a Play Off success in 2010.
4) He encountered Paul Sturrock for the first time when he joined Southend United – initially on loan – in 2012. He called leaving Roots Hall two years later his “hardest goodbye”
5) Sturrock said of signing Laird in 2010 that he is an “excellent passer and will add experience in that area”.