Skip to main content Skip to site footer

Kick off 19:45 (UK)

17 October 2017 Venue The Abbey Stadium Attendance

Kick off 19:45 (UK)

Listen live now

Watch live now

Listen or watch live now

Recent results


English Football League - League Two

Advertisement block

Advertisement block


Commentary to begin soon

There are currently no key moments to display.

Are you sure you want to delete this event?

Delete Cancel

Advertisement block

Advertisement block

Advertisement block

Advertisement block

Match Previews

PREVIEW | Cambridge United v Yeovil Town

Town looking to record back-to-back wins

16 October 2017

Rhys Browne celebrates with Nathan Smith after scoring PPAUK

The Glovers travel to Cambridge United on Tuesday night (7.45pm) looking to collect three points for a second match in a row.

Town saw off Crewe Alexandra at home on Saturday with a 2-0 win, courtesy of strikes either side of the break from Rhys Browne and Olufela Olomola. 

The victory sees Yeovil's strong start to the season at home continue, with attention now turning to picking up a second win of the campaign on the road. 

They'll do so without the services of five-goal man Francois Zoko, who serves a one-match suspension having picked up his fifth booking of the season at the weekend. 

The Green and Whites will also wait to learn of the fitness of top scorer Olomola, who limped off at Huish Park soon after netting his sixth goal of 2017/18. 

With the prospect of an all-new frontline at the Abbey Stadium, Town will take on a United side who sit just two points ahead in 15th.

Cambridge come into the fixture without a win in their last three outings in Sky Bet League Two, playing out a 0-0 draw at Lincoln City most recently. 

Likely leading the line will be Uche Ikpeazu, who sits top of the U's scoring charts with five for the season. 

Tuesday night's fixture will be the 10th meeting between the two sides.

The Glovers currently boast five wins to Cambridge's three. However, Town's last win came back in 2005, as Paul Terry and Phil Jevons were on target in a 2-1 victory.

Since then, United have won three of the last four encounters including a 1-0 win at the Abbey Stadium last season. In the return fixture, Francois Zoko netted in a 1-1 draw. 

Andy Haines will take charge of proceedings on Tuesday night. 

From Tyne & Wear, Mr. Haines will officiate his first match involving Town since January 2015, overseeing the 0-0 draw with Coventry City at Huish Park in a game which produced just one yellow card.

In 2017/18, Mr. Haines has taken charge of 11 matches awarding 33 yellows and one red card. 

He will be assisted by Rob Smith and Callum Walchester, with Daniel Cook acting as fourth official.

On matchday, minute-by-minute updates will be provided on YTFC's official Twitter account and live matchday centre.

If you’re unable to attend the game, live audio commentary is available via the iFollow Glovers service, with the monthly and season subscriptions offering full-match replays from Sunday. 

A full match report will follow on at full-time with post-match reaction from the manager and a member of the playing staff following soon after. 

Tickets for the match can be purchased in advance from the Huish Park ticket office, online, or by phone on 01935 847888 until 5pm on Monday. Fans can pay on the day but please note a £2 matchday surcharge

Advertisement block

Match Reports

REPORT | Cambridge United 2-1 Yeovil Town

Town come away empty handed despite battling performance

17 October 2017

Otis Khan takes on Bradley Halliday PPAUK

Town suffered a 2-1 defeat to Cambridge United at the Abbey Stadium in Sky Bet League Two, despite a valiant performance.

Having started brightly with a goal chalked off for offside inside the opening minute, the Glovers  found themselves behind after 20 minutes.

Uche Ikpeazu broke the offside trap to leave the Yeovil defence appealing, but the linesman’s flag didn’t come as the U’s top scorer round Artur Krysiak to score.

Buoyed by the opener it was 2-0 soon after as George Maris punished a lapse in concentration to put the home side well and truly in the driving seat.

Defender Bevis Mugabi reduced the arrears on 59 minutes to set up a final half-hour with all to play for. 

The visitors came close to an equaliser in the closing stages, but United held on for all three points to leave the Green and Whites deflated.

Darren Way was forced into making one change from the side that saw off Crewe Alexandra at Huish Park on Saturday.

Picking up his fifth booking of the season against the Railwaymen, Francois Zoko served a one-game suspension allowing young loanee Sam Surridge to start upfront.

Sid Nelson, who missed his first match on the weekend since joining on loan, took a seat amongst the substitutes in Cambridgeshire after recovering from surgery on a broken nose in the only other change to the matchday squad. 

Oozing with confidence from collecting three points just three days ago, Town had the ball in the back of the net after just 30 seconds only for the linesman’s flag to rule out a dream start.

A clever kick-off routine saw a free-flowing football manoeuvre end with Olufela Olomola firing past David Forde, only for Sam Surridge to be pulled up for offside having followed in Rhys Browne’s low drive which started the flurry of shots.

The early signs were encouraging for the Green and Whites, but the warning signs emerged with 10 minutes played.

A perfectly timed Bevis Mugabi challenge stopped Jabo Ibehre calling Krysiak into action from the angle, before the Polish stopper was left blameless for the opener.

Having dealt with copious balls into the box the visitors’ offside trap was sprung as Jevani Brown played in Ikpeazu, who coolly rounded Krysiak to make it 1-0.

In a costly spell for Town, Shaun Derry’s side doubled their advantage just six minutes later, as Bradley Halliday’s teasing cross picked out Maris who stole in unmarked from midfield to head home.

Punished for a 10-minute wobble, the Glovers recovered to enjoy the lion share of possession up to the break.

However, unable to draw Forde into meaningful action before the referee’s whistle ended first-half proceedings, Way’s side trudged into the dressing room facing a two-goal deficit.  

With Cambridge starting on the front foot after the restart, Way wasted no time in making a change as the attacking attributes of Jake Gray were introduced in place of Connor Smith. 

Met with a change in shape which saw real fluidity introduced amongst the attacking ranks, Town found a way back into the match just before the hour-mark. 

Committing numbers forward, Ryan Dickson's pinpoint delivery picked out a Green and White shirt in the middle for the second match in a row, as Mugabi - up from right-back - rose highest to head powerfully into the bottom corner. 

Deservedly with a foothold back in the match, Yeovil were almost punished for a sense of deja vu. 

Halliday's ball into the middle once again picked out an unmarked Maris, but the U's midfielder could only direct a header off the post for a goal-kick as the final 20 minutes loomed.

Becoming an end-to-end affair, Way opted to go for broke by introducing Alefe Santos for captain James Bailey, desperate to come away with something to show for an encouraging performance. 

Inside the final five minutes an important Leon Legge header stopped Surridge's cross finding Olomola at the back post, before Otis Khan saw a low drive cleared off the line by Ibehre as Town threw everything at Cambridge. 

Despite a valiant effort it wasn't enough to come away from the Abbey Stadium with a point, as a quickfire double in the first-half for United condemned Yeovil to defeat. 

Cambridge United: Forde, Halliday, Legge, Taylor, Carroll, Deegan, Mingoia, Maris (Elito 87), Brown, Ibehre, Ikpeazu (O'Neil 90).
Subs not used: Mitov, Dunk, Taft, Howkins, Foy.

Yeovil Town: Krysiak, Mugabi, Sowunmi, N. Smith, Browne, Bailey (Santos 81), C. Smith (Gray 51), Khan, Olomola, Surridge.
Subs not used: Maddison, Nelson, Davies, James, Worthington.

Advertisement block

Ticket News

TICKETS | Buy in advance for Cambridge

Town face the U’s at the Abbey Stadium on Tuesday

16 October 2017

Cambridge United's Abbey Stadium Shuttershock

Tickets for Town’s match at Cambridge United on Tuesday (7.45pm) will go off sale at 5pm today (Monday).

Fans can purchase on the day at the Abbey Stadium but prices will increase by £2.

The Glovers travel to the U’s on a high after a solid 2-0 win over Crewe Alexandra at Huish Park.

Tickets are available in person at the ticket office, online or by phone on 01935 847888.

For more information and ticket prices, head to the Away Tickets section.

Advertisement block

Advertisement block