Skip to main content Skip to site footer

Kick off 19:45 (UK)

31 January 2017 Venue Huish Park Attendance

Kick off 19:45 (UK)

Listen live now

Watch live now

Listen or watch live now

Recent results


English Football League - League Two

Advertisement block

Advertisement block

Live commentary of this match has not yet started.

toggle inactive

key moments

Updated at

There are currently no key moments to display.

Advertisement block

Advertisement block

Advertisement block

Advertisement block

Match Previews


31 January 2017

All you need to know ahead of Town’s rearranged fixture against Plymouth Argyle in Sky Bet League Two tonight (7.45pm).

Boss Darren Way said Doncaster Rovers’ display against Town on Saturday was where he aspires for his side to be.

The Glovers suffered a disappointing 3-0 defeat to the league leaders and tonight take on another team vying for promotion to League One.

Second-placed Plymouth Argyle visit Huish Park after five wins in seven matches and sit seven points behind Doncaster with two games in hand.

The Pilgrims have potential goalscorers all over the pitch with defender Sonny Bradley pitching in with five, while forward Jake Jervis has nine goals to his name.

Irishman Graham Carey is Plymouth’s key man. The 27-year-old has scored 10 goals in all competitions for Argyle this season, and assisted on nine occasions - the joint-third best in the division.


Both of Yeovil’s wins over Plymouth have come at Huish Park (D2 L4).

The Pilgrims have won two of the last three contests between the two sides, running out convincing winners at Home Park last time out.

One of Town’s victories over Argyle came in 2004 where a Lee Johnson hat-trick helped the Glovers shock their then Championship opponents in the League Cup.


Kevin Johnson (Somerset) will take charge of his 20th game of the season tonight.

Mr. Johnson has awarded 57 yellow cards and two red cards so far this season and officiated Town’s win over Portsmouth in the Checkatrade Trophy and the 1-0 home loss to Hartlepool United.

The Somerset-based official will be assisted by Ravel Cheoslaua (Worcestershire) and Dean Treleaven (West Sussex) with Michael Webb (Surrey) acting as fourth official. 


On matchday, minute-by-minute updates will be provided on YTFC's official Twitter account which can be found here, with additional updates available via YTFC's official Facebook page. at full-time with post-match reaction from manager Darren Way and a member of the playing staff following soon after. If you’re unable to attend the game a full match report will follow on


Supporters can purchase tickets at the ticket office, online or by phone on 01935 847888.

Advertisement block

Match Reports


31 January 2017

Yeovil Town stunned second-placed Plymouth Argyle with a 2-1 victory at Huish Park in Sky Bet League Two.

After a battling first-half performance constricted the promotion chasers, the Glovers took the lead on 62 minutes. 

Ben Whitfield’s inch-perfect corner was slammed home by Nathan Smith, before the hosts’ lead was doubled just two minutes later. 

Matty Dolan’s dead-ball delivery this time picked out Alex Lacey at the near-post who made no mistake from close range. 

With Town in delirium, Plymouth threatened to spoil the party when Jakub Sokolik headed home Jake Jervis’ delivery with a little over 10 minutes remaining, but Yeovil held firm for an impressive victory. 

Darren Way made two changes to the side that lost out to Doncaster last weekend, re-shuffling to the more familiar 4-3-3 formation. 

Ryan Dickson, recovered from concussion, replaced the rested Darren Ward whilst Ben Whitfield – man of the match on Saturday – took Omar Sowunmi’s starting spot. 

Taking on one of the division’s top two teams for a second match running, the Glovers started in assured fashion, with Whitfield and Tom Eaves particularly lively up front. 

With driving rain falling, the hosts continued to enjoy the better of the play in the opening 20 minutes.

Whilst guilt-edged chances were lacking, Argyle’s Sonny Bradley had to be perfectly placed to turn away Francois Zoko’s driven cross, with Eaves and Whitfield lurking in the middle.

Despite feeding off of scraps for large periods, it was Derek Adams’ side who recorded the first attempt on target. 

Gary Sawyer’s cross fell invitingly onto Craig Tanner’s head, but the Reading loanee could only pick out Artur Krysiak with a tame header.

Whilst the striker’s effort was comfortable for Krysiak, the Polish stopper was just a bystander moments later as Tanner’s rasping effort flew inches wide courtesy of a slight deflection, as Plymouth began to find their feet.

Buoyed by their opportunities, Argyle cranked up the pressure with a series of corners as the game ticked towards the break which produced some heroic Yeovil defending. 

The trio of Alex Lacey, Liam Shephard and Matt Butcher conspired to somehow keep the ball out with it trickling across the six-yard box, before Dickson produced a stunning block from another Plymouth corner to stop Ryan Donaldson’s venomous strike. 

Whilst the rain storm persisted at Huish Park the Glovers weathered the Argyle storm to head into the break goalless, with neither ‘keeper truly tested. 

Fresh after the restart it was Yeovil who once again started the brighter. 

Eaves proved to be too strong for Jakub Sokolik, leaving the former Yeovil man on the floor as he drove a low effort into the arms of Luke McCormick from inside the box. 

With the game stuck at stalemate the league’s high-flyers brought on the dangerous pairing of Jake Jervis and Jordan Slew before the hour mark, as Argyle looked to find a way to break a resolute Yeovil. 

Despite Adams’ throw of the dice it was Town who broke the deadlock just past the hourmark, when Whitfield’s dangerous corner was smashed into the back of the net by Nathan Smith from close range. 

With the home crowd still celebrating, they were sent into delirium from another set-piece just two minutes later.

After Whitfield’s tenacity earned a free-kick close to the corner flag, Matty Dolan’s driven cross was neatly turned into the net by Alex Lacey to make it 2-0. 

With the visitors rocking the game could have been put beyond doubt when a defensive mix-up between Bradley and Sokolik saw Whitfield through on goal, but McCormick was quick from his line to save well with his legs.

With time slipping away Plymouth threw caution to the wind and pinned themselves in Yeovil’s half, in an attempt to salvage something. 

Looking dangerous on the fringes the visitors won a free-kick wide on the left when Whitfield felled Graham Carey, and the Devon outfit took full advantage. 

Jervis’ delivery was whipped into the near post and was glanced into the net by Sokolik, although the final touch could easily have come off of a Yeovil man. 

Desperate to avoid a slip-up in their automatic promotion push Argyle threw everything at Way’s Green and Whites, but they couldn’t trouble Krysiak further as Town held on for a thoroughly deserved three points. 

Yeovil Town: Krysiak; Shephard, Lacey, Smith, Dickson; Dawson, Butcher, Dolan; Whitfield (Harrison 90’), Eaves (Sowunmi 86’), Zoko (Goodship 79’).
Bookings: Eaves 83’, Krysiak 90’, Dawson 90’.
Subs not used: Maddison, Mugabi, James, Bassett.

Plymouth Argyle: McCormack; Threlkeld, Songo’o, Bradley, Sokolik, Sawyer; Donaldson (Slew 56’), Carey, Fox (Sarcevic 68’); Blissett (Jervis 56’), Tanner.
Bookings: Fox 24’, Songo’o 87’.
Subs not used: Bulvitis, Rooney, Dorel.

Advertisement block

Advertisement block