Skip to main content Skip to site footer

Kick off 15:00 (UK)

02 January 2017 Venue Stadium Attendance

Kick off 15:00 (UK)

Listen live now

Watch live now

Listen or watch live now

Recent results


English Football League - League Two

Advertisement block

Advertisement block

Live commentary of this match has not yet started.

toggle inactive

key moments

Updated at

There are currently no key moments to display.

Advertisement block

Advertisement block

Advertisement block

Advertisement block

Match Previews


1 January 2017

All you need to know ahead of Town’s first match of 2017 on Monday at Crawley Town in Sky Bet League Two (3pm).

Darren Way celebrated one year in permanent charge of the Glovers over the weekend, and will look to build on an unbeaten run at Huish Park over the Christmas period. 

Draws against Exeter City and Portsmouth stopped a run of two defeats, but Town will be looking to get back to winning ways against a Crawley side they demolished 5-0 at home in December. 

Tom Eaves, Ryan Hedges, Otis Khan (x2) and Francois Zoko were all on target as Yeovil stormed into the play-offs, although without a win in League Two since, Way’s side now sit in 13th but within touching distance of the top 7. 

The Reds sit two places below Town in 15th with 29 points and have enjoyed mixed form since their afternoon to forget in Somerset. 

Wins against Crewe and Newport County followed, before defeats to Leyton Orient and Plymouth Argyle left Dermot Drummy’s side struggling for consistency. 

Striker James Collins has consistently found the net this season, however. The former Swindon Town striker is Crawley’s top scorer with 10 goals in League Two.

The two teams have met eight times in all competitions, with Yeovil losing just once. 

In fact, Town have won the last five meetings between the two sides with Harry Cornick’s first half strike securing all three points at the Stadium last season.

Last month’s 5-0 win is the Glovers biggest victory against the Sussex outfit, whose sole victory against Town came in 2014 – two strikes from Marvin Elliott at home earned Crawley all three points. 

John Busby (Oxfordshire) takes charge of proceedings at the Stadium on Monday afternoon. 

It will be Mr. Busby’s 21st game of the season and the third occasion he’s officiated a match involving Yeovil. 

The Oxfordshire referee took charge of the 1-0 defeat at home to Morecambe in August (awarding two yellow cards) and Town’s 2-0 victory against Reading Under-23’s in the Checkatrade Trophy (one yellow card). 

Mr. Busby will be assisted by Andrew Laver (Hampshire) and Christopher Kidd (Oxfordshire) with Rob Smith (Hertfordshire) acting as fourth official.

Pre-match interviews will be available via our official YouTube channel by clicking here.

On matchday, minute-by-minute updates will be provided on YTFC's official Twitter account which can be found here, with additional updates available via YTFC's official Facebook page.

If you’re unable to attend the game a full match report will follow on at full time with post-match reaction from manager Darren Way and a member of the playing staff following soon after. 

Fans can pay on the day at the Stadium but are advised to purchase online in advance.

Advertisement block

Match Reports


2 January 2017

Yeovil Town failed to record the double over Crawley Town, going down 2-0 at the Stadium in Sky Bet League Two.

After two consecutive draws at Huish Park over the Christmas period, The Glovers failed to get back to winning ways in Sussex thanks to two first half strikes.

Defender James Yorwerth headed the hosts ahead from a corner with 29 minutes on the clock, before the Reds doubled their lead 10 minutes later.

After Enzio Boldewijn was brought down in the box by Otis Khan, James Collins picked out the top corner from the penalty spot to confirm the hosts dominance in the opening 45 minutes.

Darren Way made two changes to the side that drew 0-0 with Portsmouth at Huish Park three days ago, handing striker Jack Storer his debut just days after arriving on loan from Birmingham City, whilst Bevis Mugabi replaced the ill Liam Shephard.

On the bench, Matty Dolan returned to the squad after six weeks out with a hamstring injury, with Ollie Bassett dropping out of the squad to accommodate Tahvon Campbell who started amongst the substitutes after starting against Pompey.

Keen to avoid another 5-0 defeat as in the reverse fixture last month, Crawley began on the front foot and engineered the first chance of the game with just four minutes on the clock. 

After robbing Ryan Dickson of possession on the halfway line, Boldewijn found 10-goal man Collins, but his shot from just inside the box flew over Artur Krysiak’s goal.

Looking to find a first win in five matches, Lewis Young’s clearance only fell to Nathan Smith in the box, but the ball was whisked off the defender’s foot as he prepared to shoot by Joe McNerney. 

Despite the hosts enjoying the majority of possession, it was Town who engineered the next meaningful chance of the half when Khan cut inside from the left and forced Glenn Morris into a low save down to his left. 

The Glovers couldn’t build on that opportunity and it was the Reds who dominated the remainder of the half. 

Top scorer Collins had a fierce effort from range pushed around the post by Krysiak, but from the following Den Cox corner Yorwerth was on hand to bundle the ball into the net after wriggling free in a densely populated box. 

Buoyed by taking the lead, former Glover Lewis Young forced the Town stopper into another fine save with his effort from 20 yards parried away, before the hosts were awarded a penalty after 39 minutes.

Boldewijn powered into the box and despite initially being held up by Dickson, the Crawley striker was clipped by Khan forcing referee John Busby to point to the spot.

Collins made no mistake from 12 yards to round off a good half for the Sussex outfit, as Yeovil looked to regroup at the break.

Way made a double substitution at half-time introducing Matt Butcher and Francois Zoko for Otis Khan and Matt Butcher respectively, as the Glovers switched to a diamond 4-4-2 formation. 

The tactical change saw Yeovil begin the half in positive fashion as the new front two of Zoko and Tom Eaves but forced Glenn Morris into good saves.

The Reds ‘keeper first dived full length to claw Zoko’s header out of the bottom corner, before Morris was well placed to parry away Eaves’ powerful effort from 20 yards minutes later. 

As Yeovil continued to press for a way back into the match Morris was called into action once again just before the hour mark, who denied the unlikely source of Mugabi.

After failing to clear their lines the ball spurted out to the right-back 12 yards out, but the youngster could only fire into the arms of Morris. 

With the game increasingly stretched, Crawley had claims for a second penalty waved away after Billy Clifford’s shot cannoned off of what the Reds claimed to be Smith’s hand. 

Now an end-to-end affair, Clifford once again found space in the box with Yeovil committing numbers forward, but the former Town loanee saw his strike palmed away by Krysiak. 

As time ticked away from the Glovers Zoko went down close to the touchline off the ball after Reds midfielder Josh Payne went in with his head, but referee Busby awarded a yellow card to both players. 

That incident saw the game take a turn in terms of discipline, with Crawley becoming increasingly aggressive in their attempts to stave off Yeovil with Yowerth entering the referee’s book for a forceful challenge on Mugabi. 

It was from a free-kick that Town came closest to scoring in the closing stages, as Zoko saw his curling effort tipped over by Morris after Campbell had his legs swiped from under him on the edge of the box. 

That was as close as Way’s side came to getting back into the match, as Dermot Drummy’s side got what they will feel is revenge for the 5-0 loss at Huish Park last month in the same fixture, pushing Yeovil further from the play-offs in the process.

Crawley Town: Morris; Connolly, McNerney, Yorwerth; Young, Smith, Payne, Clifford (Watt 80’), Cox (Roberts 61’); Collins, Boldewijn (Bawling 87’).
Bookings: Young 67’, Payne 71’, Yorwerth 83’, Watt 90'.
Subs not used: Mersin, Blackman, Djalo, Henderson.

Yeovil Town: Krysiak; Mugabi, Lacey, Smith, Dickson; Dawson, Lawless, Whitfield; Eaves, Storer (Zoko 45’), Khan (Butcher 45’).
Bookings: Mugabi 40’, Zoko 71’, Eaves 73’, Lawless 90'.
Subs not used: Maddison, Ezewele, Dolan, Campbell, Sowunmi.

Advertisement block

Advertisement block