Skip to main content Skip to site footer

Kick off 15:00 (UK)

18 February 2017 Venue LCI Rail Stadium Attendance

Kick off 15:00 (UK)

Listen live now

Watch live now

Listen or watch live now

Recent results


English Football League - League Two

Advertisement block

Advertisement block

Live commentary of this match has not yet started.

toggle inactive

key moments

Updated at

There are currently no key moments to display.

Advertisement block

Advertisement block

Advertisement block

Advertisement block

Match Previews


17 February 2017

All you need to know ahead of Town’s trip to Cheltenham Town in Sky Bet League Two (3pm).

After three consecutive draws in the league, Town will be looking to get back to winning ways at Whaddon Road.

The Glovers have had to settle for a point in their last two encounters at home after conceding late goals on both occasions. 

Darren Way and his squad have notified the issue as a lack of concentration and focus going into the last ten minutes of matches, and want to address it against Cheltenham.

Former Yeovil boss Gary Johnson’s first return to the club since leaving in February 2015 ended in defeat back in September.

The 61-year-old guide the Green and Whites to three promotions - including the historic one to the Championship - and one FA Trophy across two spells with the club.

Johnson’s Robins won the Vanarama National League title last season but are fighting against a return to non-league.

They lie one place above the relegation zone and have lost six of their last 10 fixtures.

Last time out, the Gloucestershire club fell to a 2-1 away defeat at Stevenage.


The two sides hadn’t previously played each other for seven years before this season, with Town in the Sky Bet Championship and League One and Cheltenham suffering relegation prior to the Glovers returning to the bottom division for the 2015/16 campaign.

Yeovil have won four of the 11 competitive meetings between the two sides, the last coming back in September.

Otis Khan opened the scoring for Town after six minutes and Darren Ward’s powerful header doubled their advantage.

Aaron Downes pulled one back for the Robins but a diving header from Matty Dolan made it 3-1 on the stroke of half-time.

Cheltenham reduced the deficit once more through Billy Waters before Tom Eaves rounded off the scoring in the last minute.


Darren England (South Yorkshire) will take charge of Saturday’s meeting at Whaddon Road, officiating his 31st match of the campaign.

He has awarded 76 yellow cards and five reds, and is yet to take charge of a Town game this season.

The Yorkshire-born official will be assisted by Ian Smedley (Derbyshire) and John Law (Worcestershire) with Andrew Newbold (Leicestershire taking on the role of fourth official. 


Darren Way and Ben Whitfield’s pre-match interviews can be viewed on YTFC's official YouTube account here.

On matchday, minute-by-minute updates will be provided on YTFC's official Twitter account which can be found here, with additional updates available via YTFC's official Facebook page.

If you’re unable to attend the game a full match report will follow on at full-time with post-match reaction from manager Darren Way and a member of the playing staff following soon after.


Ticket information can be found by clicking here. Supporters wishing to attend the match can purchase tickets online by clicking here, or via the Huish Park ticket office either in person or by calling 01935 847888.

Advertisement block

Match Reports


18 February 2017

Yeovil Town endured a tough afternoon in Gloucestershire, losing 2-0 to Cheltenham Town at the LCI Rail Stadium in Sky Bet League Two.

In a stale opening 45 minutes, the game only came to life at the death when Jean-Louis Akpa Akpro saw an effort come off the post. 

Despite ending the half strongly, the visitors fell behind on 48 minutes when Tin Plavotic headed home from a free-kick to give the Robins a dream start to the second half.

Having taken the lead, the pressure continued and Billy Waters doubled Cheltenham’s lead from the penalty spot on 63 minutes after Matt Butcher was penalised. 

Town couldn’t find a way back into the match and ended a run of three draws with a disappointing defeat. 

Darren Way made two changes to the side that earned a third successive 1-1 draw in midweek at home to Cambridge United. 

Unavailable on Tuesday, Town welcomed back captain Darren Ward (rested) in the heart of defence at the expense of Bevis Mugabi – who dropped out with a knee injury.

In the front three, Akpa Akpro returned to the starting line-up in place of Ben Whitfield who moved to the bench, with Kabongo Tshimanga and Owain Jones missing out as the fifth and sixth loans. 

On a pitch decorated primarily by mud and sand, the chances of free-flowing football from either side were slim – even before a ball had been kicked. 

The direct pattern of play was confirmed almost as soon as referee Darren England started proceedings, with both sides opting to cut-out the almost unplayable middle section of the pitch in search of territory. 

That tactic almost paid off as early as the third minute when Francois Zoko latched on to a lofted through ball to round home ‘keeper Scott Brown, but the linesman’s flag halted any early celebrations in the away end. 

That chance sparked an immediate response from the Robins as Waters fired an acrobatic volley over the bar from just inside the box. 

With six players over six foot, Gary Johnson’s side were keen to utilise their height advantage via long balls and long throws, but Town’s defence held firm in Gloucestershire. 

That was despite a reshuffle when Ryan Dickson had to be replaced by Alex Lacey after just 32 minutes, forcing Matt Butcher across to left-back. 

In a game somewhat tarnished by the playing conditions, it wasn’t until added time at the end of the first half that the game threatened to come to life as the Glovers went close twice in quick succession. 

First, Tom Eaves saw his cross bobble along the six-yard box without anyone able to apply the final touch, before Akpa Akpro saw a stabbed effort from a scramble in the box come off the outside of the post. 

Way would’ve been keen for his side to maintain the momentum, but Town fell behind just three minutes after the restart. 

Having conceded a wide free-kick, James Rowe’s delivery was headed home by the giant defender Tin Plavotic to condemn Yeovil to a nightmare start to the second 45. 

It almost got worse on 54 minutes when another direct ball into the box caused havoc, ending with Waters blazing over from six yards. 

Cheltenham were buoyed by taking the lead though and continued to bombard the Yeovil box in search of a second, and their persistence paid off just past the hour-mark. 

After bobbling around the box Matt Butcher swung a leg to clear the ball but was penalised for a high foot as Kyle Wootton went in for a header, resulting in a spot kick. 

Robins top scorer Waters stepped up and sent Krysiak the wrong way to make it an increasingly difficult afternoon for the Glovers. 

Facing an uphill battle, Whitfield and Omar Sowunmi replaced Alex Lawless and Eaves as the Green and Whites searched for a way back into the game. 

Despite the alterations, the visitors couldn’t get a foothold in the match, failing to threaten the home goal as Cheltenham’s back five stood firm. 

After five minutes of additional time a miserable afternoon for Town was brought to an end, as the Glovers failed to battle with their relegation-threatened opponents.

Cheltenham Town: Brown; Barthram, Onariase, Boyle, Plavotic, O’Shaugnessy; Pell, Rowe, Winchester (Storer 45’); Wootton, Waters.
Bookings: Pell 56’, Waters 59’, Brown 89’.
Subs not used: Kitscha, Munns, Hall, Dayton, Holman, De Girolamo. 

Yeovil Town: Krysiak; Shephard, Ward, Butcher, Dickson (Lacey 32’); Dawson, Lawless (Whitfield 64’), Dolan; Akpa Akpro, Eaves (Sowunmi 72’), Zoko.
Bookings: Eaves 41’, Ward 57’, Butcher 74’, Zoko 88’.
Subs not used: Maddison, James, Harrison, Goodship.

Advertisement block

Advertisement block