Skip to main content


22:19 13th December 2011


Yeovil Town were unceremoniously dumped out of the FA Cup as they lost by two goals to nil against Blue Square Premier side Fleetwood Town tonight.

The visitors at times outclassed their opponents from two divisions higher and took the lead in the first half through Jamie McGuire and after both sides were reduced to ten men, top scorer Jamie Vardy added a second in stoppage time to wrap up a fully deserved win against a strangely lacklustre Glovers side.

The hosts had Bondz N'Gala sent off with twenty minutes to go for two bookable offences and the Cod Army were also reduced to ten when burly defender Steve McNulty departed after getting his second yellow card.

Home manager Terry Skiverton was forced into three changes with the absence of cup-tied stars Rene Gilmartin & Gavin Massey (Watford) and Jon Obika (Tottenham). Goalkeeping coach Gareth Stewart continued his cup adventure between the sticks and Andy Williams returned up front with Steve MacLean also starting in the forward line.

Yeovil actually started the brighter side of the two and MacLean could have opened the scoring in the second minute but he couldn't get a good connection to a cross from Kieran Agard from the left.

The two sides then exchanged chances in a average first half with Jamie McGuire hitting a volley well wide and Andy Mangan heading over after a cross came to him too quickly to get any direction on his effort.

Agard then turned on the spin and volleyed over and he had the ball in the net on eighteen minutes but the assistant referee had already flagged for offside.

Keith Briggs then hit a flying volley wide of the far post before Paul Wotton then worked the Fleetwood keeper Scott Davies for the first time in the match when his low, skidding free kick rebounded off the gloveman's chest but MacLean could only stab the follow up wide.

Fleetwood took the lead on 27 minutes. All game long, possession had been wasted in the centre of the park and at last, the Glovers were punished when the ball fell to McGuire who fired home through a crowded penalty area into the corner of the net.

On thirty minutes, Fleetwood sub Richard Brodie was booked when he refused to give the ball back to Luke Ayling while he was warming up with the other visiting substitutes.

Andy Williams then robbed the stumbling Alan Goodall but couldn't get a shot away but it was an all too rare opportunity for a side that ended the first half with only one shot on target. In fact, Fleetwood could have added a second when first Nathan Pond sliced a shot wide before Goodall's low shot deflected out for a corner.

The half closed with defender Bondz N'Gala harshly booked for tripping Vardy who had run deliberately in front of the ex-West Ham star to get himself tripped up.

Gavin Williams came on at half time for Conor Clifford but the move didn't seem to inspire the Glovers out of their first half slumbers although Ed Upson curled a shot wide and, after a goalmouth scramble which saw two shots blocked and a header saved by Davies, Town forced a corner.

With just over twenty minutes left, N'Gala earned a second yellow and subsequent red when in an identical situation to the first half incident, Vardy ran across him leaving N'Gala no option of avoiding the trip again. Referee James Adcock showed red to the big defender.

Alan O'Brien then came on for MacLean on 73 minutes and his pace caused problems down the Fleetwood right flank for the rest of the game but still it looked more likely that the next goal would come from someone in a red shirt.

Those red shirts were then reduced to one short on 85 minutes. McNulty, who had been booked for felling MacLean on 67 minutes, then clattered into Andy Williams by the dugouts and also disappeared for an early bath too.

Gavin Williams then came even closer with his side's final chance as he headed over from a pinpoint Alan O'Brien cross and as the clock ticked into the first of five minutes of stoppage time, Vardy was played in down the left channel, cut inside and hit a shot that Gareth Stewart could only partially block and the ball landed in the corner of the net.
    Data provided by Press Association


    For the first 50 years of their existence, England played their home matches all around the country.