Skip to main content


22:33 28th December 2011


A heartbreaking 90th minute winner from attacker Danny Green gave Charlton Athletic all three points in a Boxing Day five goal thriller against Yeovil Town at Huish Park this afternoon.

Green's sweetly struck shot found the corner of the net after the Addicks had twice come from behind against a Yeovil side that more than matched them but suffered their first defeat in six league games in the process.


Jon Obika's bicycle kick had given the Glovers the lead on seven minutes but Danny Hollands equalised on the quarter hour before Paul Huntington gave Yeovil the lead again in the 50th minute. Yann Kermogant levelled again ten minutes later before Green's late winner harshly left Yeovil with nothing.

And they also lose midfield generals Paul Wotton and Ed Upson for two games each as both players accrued their tenth bookings of the season this afternoon.


Manager Terry Skiverton made three changes to the side that picked up a useful point at Rochdale nine days ago. Kerrea Gilbert's red card that day earned him a suspension while Gavin Massey and Conor Clifford dropped to the bench. Bondz N'Gala, Andy Williams and Gavin Williams returned to the side in their place.

The Glovers had an early scare in the first minute when after they lost the ball in midfield, Bradley Wright-Phillips broke through the centre and fed Green who ran on and thumped his shot into the side netting.


However the scare didn't faze the home side and they took the lead on seven minutes. Max Ehmer lofted a free kick deep into the Charlton box where a visiting defender back-headed it to Obika. The Spurs loanee striker produced an acrobatic bicycle kick which bounced down and up into the roof of the net for his first goal since rejoining the club.

Within seven minutes, parity was restored when Green's corner was met by Danny Hollands with a firm header; the goal was the first home keeper Rene Gilmartin had conceded in 284 minutes of football.

Having seen Obika succeed with an overhead kick, opposing striker Kermogant tried one of his own on twenty minutes but his effort lacked power and direction and was easily gathered by the big Irish keeper.


Green's set piece deliveries were causing the home defence some difficulty and he almost snatched a spectacular goal but his corner curled on to the roof of the net before he then crossed in for defender Michael Morrison to glance wide when maybe he should have done better.

Wright-Phillips, lively but without really getting much of a sight of goal, had a shot blocked for a corner after Wotton had been robbed in midfield but the last chance of the half came when the former Plymouth midfielder placed a lovely through ball to Obika who couldn't finish after rounding the keeper.

The second half started in fantastic fashion when after Andy Williams fierce shot was deflected for a corner, Paul Huntington met Ed Upson's corner perfectly to make it 2-1 with his first goal of the season on 49 minutes.


As with the first goal, Chris Powell's men replied quickly with a wonderful equaliser. N'Gala was penalised for a push on the back of Kermogant and the striker exacted the perfect revenge when he curled in a delicious free kick into the top corner of the net.

The goal then breathed even more life into a game not exactly lacking in it. It turned into a cup tie atmosphere around the ground with the Glovers faithful really getting behind their team.


Chances came and went at either end with regularity although the bulk of them were certainly at the Yeovil end. The Charlton side were convinced that they'd scored a third when from nowhere, Gilmartin clawed the ball off the line from a Morrison header.

The yellow card total was creeping up with the chances tally too. The first twenty minutes of the second half saw both Wotton and Upson given yellow cards meaning they will have an enforced Christmas break while Luke Ayling earned a yellow for blocking Hogan Ephraim. Green clattered into Max Ehmer on the byline and Darel Russell fouled Upson, both Charlton players also seeing yellow cards.


Gavin Williams then turned defender and cleared off the line after Green had swung in a dangerous corner and Green then fired over moments later from a good position.

It was Gavin's last contribution as he was then substituted by Alan O'Brien but the next action was at the other end as Gilmartin brilliantly denied Ephraim from another Green corner.

It was almost incessant pressure from the league leaders as Yeovil pulled all troops back to defend and Huntington defined the very word "defence" with a brilliant block to thwart Wright-Phillips.


The sixth yellow card of the encounter came when Andy Williams was cynically brought down by sub Rhoys Wiggins on 87 minutes but further anguish was to follow three minutes later, right on time, when a long goal kick was flicked on to Green down the right channel and he hit a low, firm shot into the opposite corner of the net.

It was a harsh blow to the Glovers and after Powell had made two late substitutions, Andy Williams was brilliantly denied by Ben Hamer in the Charlton goal and Wotton's shot was blocked for a corner by Leon Cort.


    Data provided by Press Association


    For the first 50 years of their existence, England played their home matches all around the country.