Skip to main content


17:13 26th November 2011


A 25th minute winner from central defender Bondz N'Gala secured a first away win of the season for Yeovil Town at Hartlepool United this afternoon.

Big Bondz's goal from an Ed Upson corner ended a run of ten league games without a win although conversely, Town have only lost one out of the last seven matches in all competitions. The result brought the Glovers closer to the edge of the relegation zone, just a point now from safety.

Yeovil Town manager Terry Skiverton made two changes to the side that drew two apiece with Exeter City at Huish Park last weekend. With Darren Purse returning to parent club Millwall, N'Gala regained his place in the starting eleven while the arrival of new loan keeper Rene Gilmartin from Watford meant that Gareth Stewart dropped to the bench.

The first twenty minutes were nothing to write home about with not a single chance worthy of the name. Gilmartin saved an attempt from Antony Sweeney but the next chance was the one that livened the game up when Andy Monkhouse's volley hit the top of the crossbar from distance.

It was a near miss for 'Pools but it breathed life into a sterile game and within two minutes, came a goal. Kieran Agard's shot was deflected for a corner and from the subsequent Ed Upson flag kick, Bondz N'Gala rose high to head home past a cluster of defenders for his second goal of the season.

The next ten minutes saw the game even in possession but the Glovers well ahead on chances. Former Yeovil keeper Scott Flinders easily gathered from Dominic Blizzard's header before the visitors had the ball in the net a second time through Andy Williams but it was ruled out for an offside against the former Bristol Rovers man.

The same player then hit a rising shot just over the bar after turning his defensive opponent inside and out and the performance of the first half in controlling the hosts meant that Mick Wadsworth's men were booed off the pitch at the interval.

Wadsworth replied to the first half display from his side by throwing on Adam Boyd for the ineffective James Poole and whatever was in the half time cuppa was definitely working as they came out two gears faster.

Boyd was at the heart of it as first he tried lobbing the 6'5" Gilmartin without success before then setting up Monkhouse for a deflected shot that the keeper held comfortably.

Former Premier League star Nolberto Solana, he of Newcastle and Aston Villa, was in charge of set pieces and although his deliveries were good, most were caught, punched or parried by the tall Glovers stopper and when he didn't make it, the Yeovil defence cleared competently. His ignominy came just after the hour when he was replaced by Nathan Luscombe.

The Glovers determination to keep 'Pools out was typified by a brave piece of defending from Paul Huntington who threw himself in the way of a Gary Liddle effort on 65 minutes.

Gavin Massey came on for Conor Clifford with just more than twenty minutes left but the next effort came from the unlikely source of N'Gala who tried an overhead kick from a prone position on the floor that went over.

Skiverton's second change came with a quarter hour left when Jonathan Obika replaced Williams which had followed the vastly experienced Ritchie Humphreys coming on for the home side.

Agard spurned a chance to make the game safe on eighty minutes when, clean through on goal, he tried lifting the ball over the oncoming Flinders but failed to get enough height on his effort.

Gilmartin then gathered a free header from Peter Hartley after a Hartlepool set piece as the home side, frustrating their own supporters, pressed half-heartedly for a leveller.

Agard came off for the hat-trick hero of midweek, Steve MacLean, with three minutes left; the third attacking substitution made by the visiting manager.

The final chance of the game, and one that had the 55 travelling Glovers hearts in their mouths, came two minutes into stoppage time when sub Luscombe hit the post from a left wing cross. It would have been a heartbreaking end to the 700-mile round trip for Yeovil's players, officials and fans but it didn't go in and the long journey will be a very happy one for those who went to the game.

    Data provided by Press Association


    For the first 50 years of their existence, England played their home matches all around the country.