Skip to main content


12:32 21st November 2011


Yeovil Town produced a stirring second half comeback to earn a point in a 2-2 draw with local rivals Exeter City at Huish Park this afternoon.

After taking the lead after just sixty nine seconds through another Ed Upson belter, they went behind after Jake Taylor equalised on four minutes and John O'Flynn slotted home a penalty just before the half hour after Darren Purse had felled the striker.

But a flicked header from Dominic Blizzard on 54 minutes set up a grandstand last half hour and the home side hit the bar through Kieran Agard as they pushed for a winner but also saw their own woodwork hit by a David Noble free kick and a Troy Archibald-Henville header.

ed upson

The result, though not ideal, lifts the Glovers two places higher to 22nd in the npower League One table above both Wycombe Wanderers and Chesterfield.

The Glovers went into the game making two changes from last week's Cup victors over Hereford United. The previously cup-tied loanees Darren Purse and Conor Clifford returned to the starting eleven at the expense of Bondz N'Gala and Oli Johnson.


And they got off to the perfect start when after just over a minute, a pass from Max Ehmer was chested down by Andy Williams for Ed Upson to drill home another superb goal, making him joint top scorer on four goals from midfield.

Any hope of the hosts holding on to that lead vanished less than three minutes later when a ball through the middle of the park found Jake Taylor who chested it down and slotted the ball back into the opposite corner of the net. Four minutes gone, one apiece.

Both sides exchanged chances in the early stages with Danny Coles heading over a Liam Sercombe corner and Williams nodding at keeper Artur Krysiak after a break down the left by the impressive Upson.

The Grecians then enjoyed the bulk of possession for the next twenty minutes forcing four corners while all Yeovil had to show was a speculative volley from Williams when he cottoned on to a long Stewart goal kick.

Just before the half hour, Exeter took the lead from the penalty spot. John O'Flynn received the ball inside the box, in the left channel, but was fouled by Purse with referee Mark Haywood pointing for a penalty immediately. O'Flynn dusted himself down and sent Stewart the wrong way with the spot kick.


The rest of the half saw Paul Tisdale's men play some decent, non-threastening football and aside from a fierce drive from Sercombe that flew a yard over Stewart's bar, they didn't look like adding to that lead.

Exeter started the second half with an Archibald-Henville header scraping the post from a Sercombe corner but ten minutes in, it was all square again. Upson was proving dangerous with his inswinging corners and from the second in succession, Dominic Blizzard ghosted in and flicked a header into the bottom corner for his second in two games.


Boss Skiverton brought off the tiring Conor Clifford with the fresh legs of Gavin Massey replacing him and the turnaround in fortune on the pitch inspired the 5,635 crowd to provide a much improved second half performance.

They nearly grabbed a sensational third moments later. Upson pulled a corner back that was dummied cleverly by Massey for Wotton to send in a piledriver of an effort that Krysiak did well to get anything to, pushing it away for a corner.

Kieran Agard, tireless up front, then stretched to reach a cross and flicked his shot on to the crossbar as the Town produced some of their best football for weeks as they pressed and rattled the visitors back into their own half for long periods.


then sent a shot spinning wide after turning his marker beautifully when found by Ayling and Wotton sent a free kick wide from thirty five yards out.

With fifteen minutes left, Agard was replaced by Jonathan Obika and his first contribution was to feed fellow sub Massey whose powerful shot was spilled by keeper Krysiak and cleared away from trouble.

The last period was atmospheric although a little bit scrappy. Max Ehmer (foul), Paul Wotton (foul) and Obika (handball) all got yellow cards as did Steve Tully of Exeter for dissent. Noble, an architect in midfield today, smashed a late free kick against the crossbar and Yeovil's third sub, Steve MacLean (on for Williams), nodded a snap header wide from a fortunate rebound.

A point gained or two points dropped is a matter for discussion but the crowd played their part in a thrilling local derby that gives hope that the home side will escape the bottom four very shortly.

    Data provided by Press Association


    For the first 50 years of their existence, England played their home matches all around the country.