Skip to main content


14:50 6th November 2011



Yeovil Town grabbed their fourth draw in six games when they twice came from a goal down to earn a 2-2 draw in their first ever visit to Chesterfield's b2net Stadium.

Jordan Bowery had put the Spireites ahead on four minutes before Gavin Massey levelled around the half hour mark. Bowery made it 2-1 ten minutes into the second half but saw colleague Mark Allott hit an own goal for a second equaliser with fourteen minutes left. The point leaves Yeovil bottom of the table, three points from safety.


Glovers manager Terry Skiverton had moved to bring in promising Chelsea youngster Conor Clifford on a month's loan deal and he trusted the 20-year-old with a start despite only meeting his team-mates yesterday. He replaced Oli Johnson, who became the "extra" loanee and sat out completely from the sixteen man squad. The only other change came at the back where Max Ehmer returned after suspension to replace Luke Ayling who was missing for the same reason.

Although assistant manager Nathan Jones had the first sight of goal with a free kick that thudded into the wall, it was the home side that took the lead just four minutes into the game. Alex Mendy had floated in across from the wing that was met by top scorer Leon Clarke with a header that keeper Marek Stech did well to save but Jordan Bowery bundled the ball in from close range.


The home side pressed and were looking dangerous down both flanks and the visiting defence appeared shaky under any aerial pressure. Craig Westcarr sent in a teasing low cross that no-one took a chance on and former Yeovil star Lee Johnson hit a left foot shot wide of the far post on sixteen minutes.

Clifford and Ehmer both had shots, neither of which caused any grief for Chesterfield's new loan keeper Ole Soderberg, signed from Newcastle United yesterday. At the other end, chances were clearer and Stech denied Bowery's shot before Clarke then stabbed an effort wide at the far post following a cross from another ex-Glover, Nathan Smith. Stech excelled himself again four minutes later with a great save from Neal Trotman, brought in on loan from Rochdale in a deal yesterday.


With all this pressure, the equaliser came as a bit of a shock to the crowd when it arrived just before the half hour. Ed Upson somehow found the perfect through ball to Gavin Massey and the Watford star coolly slotted the ball under Soderberg for his third goal in six games. The goal was a little harsh for the home side who had dominated chances and possession to this point.

They were stung by the goal and resumed that domination immediately. Stech saved from Johnson then had to watch as Mendy headed wide while the Glovers were restricted to a half chance for Kieran Agard which Soderberg blocked at the striker's feet. Darren Purse then worried fans and management alike when he collapsed under a challenge and lay prone on the floor for a couple of minutes before eventually getting up and receiving treatment and coming back on.


Massey then hit a shot into the side netting as the first half closed and the last real action of the first period was when Nathan Jones limped off and was replaced by Kerrea Gilbert. That said, referee Andy Madley gave the Glovers a few heart flutters when it looked like he'd awarded a penalty for Clifford's challenge on Bowery but a goal kick was the result.

The Glovers had the first opportunity of the second half when Soderberg had to be smart to turn over an Agard cross shot but the next goal came at the other end nine minutes into the half. Clarke played in his strike partner Bowery who was one-on-one with Bondz N'Gala, outpaced the defender and lobbed the advancing keeper Stech into an empty net for 2-1. Bowery had only hit five goals in more than sixty appearances (mostly from the bench) but now had two in a game for the first time.

Six minutes later, it was almost 3-1 after a slip from captain Paul Wotton. He sent a short back pass to Stech which was intercepted by the lively Bowery but his finish from a tight angle went wide of the goal denying him a hat trick.


Skiverton made a double change just after the hour replacing two central midfielders with two speedy attackers. Clifford and Dominic Blizzard went off and Andy Williams, returning from ten weeks out through injury, joined Alan O'Brien on the pitch. Almost straightaway, Stech produced his best save of the match when he tipped a Simon Ford header on to the crossbar as it seemed destined for the top corner and Westcarr had his shot deflected by N'Gala for a corner.

Yeovil tried to get a foothold in the game but Purse headed over from Upson's cross but four minutes later, the scores were level again in rather fortuitous circumstances. Wotton slipped a free kick sideways to Max Ehmer whose cross was met by home defender Mark Allott who sliced the ball into the top corner of his own net. How it came about doesn't matter though as the scoreboard showed 2-2.


Johnson saw another shot blocked by Purse for a corner from which Frenchman Mendy hit the crossbar after the ball was allowed to travel through the six yard box with Clarke then claiming he had been pulled back as he was about to tap in.

In the closing moments, as both sides looked to grab a third, home defender Allott capped a miserable day with the game's only yellow card as he lunged in on Upson before then bawling at the player as he was on the ground.

    Data provided by Press Association


    For the first 50 years of their existence, England played their home matches all around the country.