Skip to main content


11:06 26th October 2011


Yeovil Town conceded an 86th minute penalty equaliser to miss out on the chance to haul themselves off the bottom in a 2-2 draw with Leyton Orient at Huish Park tonight.

They had shown terrific guts and determination to come from a goal down to then lead 2-1 through Kieran Agard and Bondz N'Gala but David Mooney's spot kick four minutes from time, awarded for a foul by Marek Stech, keeps the Glovers rock bottom.

It was doubly sickening for Terry Skiverton's men who had earlier missed a penalty of their own as Paul Wotton blasted his effort against the base of the post just after the hour mark.

At least Town go into Saturday's home match with Huddersfield with two successive battling draws behind them and hope this can build into a little run of positive results.

The manager opted to make two changes to the side that drew 0-0 at Stevenage on Saturday. Luke Ayling's red card meant that Nathan Jones came in at left back with Max Ehmer moving across to the right full back position. Steve MacLean failed to recover from Saturday's knock and was replaced by Dominic Blizzard.

The game opened in a bright fashion and the lively Gavin Massey twice saw shots blocked for corners after being fed by the impressive Oli Johnson, playing just behind the front pair.

The first bad news of the game came on eleven minutes when Ehmer earned a yellow card for a foul on Cestor Mike meaning he should now miss Saturday's Huddersfield clash at Huish Park.

Saturday's hero, Marek Stech, was called into action when he tipped over a looping header from Marc Laird on thirteen minutes then on fifteen minutes, the first of two chances cleared off the line by desperate Leyton Orient defending. Darren Purse met an Ed Upson header perfectly but O's captain Stephen Dawson cleared at the last moment.

Purse then volleyed at goal but it was deflected for another corner and moments later, Upson's inswinging flag kick was headed goalwards by Blizzard but volleyed off the line by Matt Spring in the O's goal.

Johnson then fired over when leaning back as the Glovers continued to press but their spirit took a knock on the half hour when attacker Dean Cox floated a cross over and David Mooney had all the time in the world to head past the helpless Stech.

Straight after the goal, referee Lee Collins was replaced by his assistant referee on the AgustaWestland Stand side causing a delay of four minutes to the game.

The delay certainly didn't affect Yeovil's bright, attacking impetus and they levelled the score on 36 minutes. Blizzard was brought down by Lisbie thirty yards out and Upson's free kick was only partially cleared for Kieran Agard to score his fourth goal of the season from close range.

And scarcely three minutes had passed when the Glovers took the lead. Again, Upson was the creator following excellent work by Jones down the left flank; the ex-Ipswich man's corner was volleyed home by Bondz N'Gala showing a striker's nose for goal.

Stech then saved from Lisbie as the half drew to a close and Cox had the first chance of the second half but drove his shot well wide.

On the hour mark came the moment for Yeovil to take a 3-1 lead but alas, it didn't turn out that way. The Glovers, playing the ball across the face of the area with four players queueing to shoot slipped the ball to Upson. His shot was blocked by the high arm of an Orient defender and the substitute referee awarded a penalty. Paul Wotton, usually reliable from twelve yards, sent his fierce penalty against the left hand post.

Russell Slade, the former Yeovil manager in the away dugout tonight, sent on Jimmy Smith and George Porter in a double change with 25 minutes left and the latter was to have a major say in the scoreline at the end.

Leon McSweeney hit a low, scuttling shot from thirty yards just wide and Agard forced visiting keeper Lee Butcher to hold his shot soon afterwards.

However the killer blow came with just four minutes left on the clock. A long ball down the right flank of Yeovil set Porter free and as he attempted to round Stech, the big Czech keeper brought him down and the assistant referee on the Screwfix Stand flagged immediately for a spot kick. Mooney made no mistake finishing well into the corner.

The decision looked a little harsh but the sort of call that supporters jeer when given against them but would be equally mad had their side not been awarded it.

So on to Huddersfield on Saturday, arguably the Glovers sternest test of the season so far against a side that are now unbeaten for forty matches.

    Data provided by Press Association


    For the first 50 years of their existence, England played their home matches all around the country.