Skip to main content


15:40 24th October 2011



Marek Stech's keeping heroics helped ten-man Yeovil Town earn an important and gutsy point at Stevenage.

The West Ham United loanee capped an imperious performance with a penalty save as the Glovers withstood a second half attacking barrage. The Boro missed a host of chances after the break as their visitors stood strong.


Suspensions forced Skiverton into two changes. Millwall loanee Darren Purse made his debut at centre half and striker Kieran Agard returned to the starting XI with Nathan Jones and Flavien Belson serving bans.

The Glovers started with an attacking 4-4-2 formation, Purse and Bondz N'Gala flanked by Luke Ayling and Max Ehmer at the back and Agard partnering Steve MacLean.

Gavin Massey registered the first chance of the game on nine minutes, bearing Boro stopper Chris Day with a cross that came crashing off of the bar.

Five minutes later Ed Upson's block from a shot after a corner helped launch a Yeovil counterattack through Agard. The former Evertonian exchanged passes with Oli Johnson but skewed his effort wide.


Purse then cleared feet from his line on 16 minutes as a long ball was headed upwards by Byron Harrison for Michael Bostwick to follow up.

On 24 minutes Agard was guilty of wasting Yeovil's best chance of the half, drilling high and wide when released by Johnson.

Massey burst into the box on 27 minutes and was clipped by Day but kept his balance. The contact took the Watford loanee away from goal and as he hesitated Stevenage regrouped, crowded him out and earned a free kick from Agard's tackle.


Tempers flaired a minute later when Agard and Ronnie Henry clashed off the ball, prompting a 20-man melee in front of the dugouts.

On 34 minutes Marek Stech produced the first of a string of impressive saves, pushing away Harrison's strike as the unmarked forward was picked out by Stacy Long when he got behind Yeovil's defence.

Two minutes later the Czech Republic under-21 international parried Craig Reid's effort as he held off Max Ehmer to hit the target.


The hosts had to wait until 16 minutes into the second period to threaten Yeovil's goal, Byron Harrison somehow missing the target in space after Wilson made the most of Agard's stray pass to find him.

On 67 minutes Purse's sliced clearance sent the ball behind him before Ed Upson's stern challenge prevented Harrison from shooting. Stech and Upson then combined at the far post to block John Mousinho's low volley from Wilson's lofted corner on 76 minutes.

Nine minutes before time Stevenage had the ball in the back of the net only for referee Iain Williamson to point to the spot.


The official pulled back play having spotted Ayling's deliberate handball on the line, dismissing the full back for his infringement. However, Stech was up the challenge of the penalty, athletically tipping Mousinho's attempt from 12 yards while diving to his left.

Stevenage created another chance to take all three points in added time, but substitute Chris Beardsley headed wide in a good position as the Glovers' resilience was rewarded with a draw.

    Data provided by Press Association


    For the first 50 years of their existence, England played their home matches all around the country.