Skip to main content


12:00 27th September 2011


A double from midfielder Damien Mozika either side of a Paul Wotton penalty was enough to give Scunthorpe United their first win of the season at home to Yeovil Town this afternoon.

Both of Mozika's goals owed as much to slack defending as to his side's own creativity and came either side of the half time break though Wotton's penalty had given Town hope after a one-sided first half.

The Glovers have a long trip home on which to think about the dozen chances they spurned today and have now slipped to 19th place, level on points with two of those sides in the bottom four.

Manager Terry Skiverton settled for just one change on the field and one on the bench for today's clash. Dominic Blizzard failed to recover from the injury sustained in last week's defeat against Sheffield Wednesday so Paul Wotton returned to the team after suspension. On the bench, Gareth Stewart came in for Flavien Belson.


The first forty five minutes were as one sided as any Glovers game this season with the pace and power of the front two Kieran Agard and Steve MacLean causing problems for the Scunthorpe United back four. Agard, boosted by his first two goals in a Yeovil shirt last Saturday was virtually unplayable in the first twenty minutes.

The former Everton striker could have put his side ahead twice in the first two minutes following good work from his partner MacLean but scuffed one shot and saw Manchester United loan keeper Sam Johnstone save the other effort.


Anthony Edgar then had a chance at the far post but failed to connect properly and even centre half Paul Huntington got in on the act with a left foot fierce volley that defender Garry Thompson fortuitously headed over his own bar for a corner.


If any chance typified the Glovers first half performance, it came on twenty minutes. Nathan Jones did well to block a shot from Chris Dagnall and the visitors broke with pace through winger Alan O'Brien and he set up MacLean who couldn't get an attempt in on goal.

Edgar had another shot that had the sting taken out of it with a defender's deflection before reaching Johnstone in the home goal but gradually, the Iron started clawing their way back into the game. Bobby Grant shot well wide, Damien Mozika also missed the target with a shot; Norwood then hit a weak effort at Jed Steer before Sam Togwell blazed a shot way over the bar.


The chances weren't all one way though with Jones firing over from eight yards out and MacLean missing out when set up by Agard.

Then came the best chance of the game so far. Johnstone took too long to clear the ball and his clearance was charged down by Agard who then hit the post with his attempt on goal when really a goal should have been the result.

The lively striker had another chance to give his side the lead with five minutes left of the first half but Johnstone denied his turn and shot.


On 43 minutes came the opening goal, as undeserved as you could wish based on possession and chances. The hosts broke down the flank and when the ball came across, Mozika tapped in from six yards out.

If Yeovil felt sorry for themselves, they didn't show it and equalised within three minutes right on half time. Agard, making a nuisance of himself up front, was brought down in the box by Paul Reid to the anger of the home fans but referee Craig Pawson pointed to the spot. Regular penalty taker Paul Wotton thumped the spot kick high into the roof of the net for his second goal of the season.


MacLean began the second half as he had finished the first, looking dangerous but shooting wide after Ed Upson had set him up.

It was the last clear chance the Glovers had for a large portion of the second half as the game swung round completely to the favour of the home side. Steer had already saved from Shane Duffy but was helpless to prevent Mozika making it 2-1 two minutes later with a side footed shot from the edge of the box after good work from Eddie Nolan down the left flank.


The Iron then enjoyed a large portion of the game and had a complete monopoly on chances for the next twenty minutes. Grant hit a free kick way over and paid for it by being substituted moments later by Nicky Ajose, signed on loan this week from Peterborough United.


Steer was keeping his side in it defensively with three good saves in the space of just four minutes. First, the on-loan Norwich gloveman denied Michael O'Connor then pushed a cross shot from Oliver Norwood onto his crossbar and away. His third save came from an Ajose shot that the former Manchester United striker should really have scored.

The final quarter of the match saw the Glovers improve and pressurise their hosts more and more. With Gavin Massey on for Edgar and Billy Gibson replacing O'Brien, the fresh legs boosted Skiverton's men with Gibson looking good on the flank in a 4-3-3 attacking formation.

Johnstone had to be alert to save from Jones and MacLean in quick succession before then denying Gibson's long range free kick.

Curtis Haynes-Brown came on for Jones with three minutes left as the Glovers tried desperately to grab a point and Upson had a late effort saved by Johnstone too.

The final moments saw two more Scunthorpe players booked in Nolan and Dagnall and a couple of goalmouth scrambles but nothing more threatened the home goal meaning Alan Knill's side completed their first three point haul of the season.

player plug

    Data provided by Press Association


    For the first 50 years of their existence, England played their home matches all around the country.