Skip to main content


21:22 17th September 2011



A quickfire double from Kieran Agard wasn't enough for Yeovil Town as they went down by the odd goal in five to Sheffield Wednesday this afternoon.

David McGoldrick, on his debut plus further goals from substitute Julian Bennett and Gary Madine sealed a hard fought victory for Gary Megson's men but the game was overshadowed by Yeovil's first goal.

Luke Ayling, after an uncontested drop ball, volleyed the ball back towards the Wednesday goal but defender Rob Jones and keeper Richard O'Donnell then collided and Agard finished off the chance tucking the ball home.


The goal infuriated the visiting fans, players and management and the game took more than five minutes to restart with Jones going off injured and the Owls players slow to take the kick off, complaining that Agard shouldn't have harried the away defence.

The goal sparked Town into life and the game was played in a much more fervent atmosphere after that with the Owls flying away with their first away win of the season.


Manager Terry Skiverton made one change to the side that beat Wycombe 1-0 on Tuesday night and it was forced upon him. Paul Wotton served his single game ban for picking up five bookings and was replaced by Dominic Blizzard, making his first start for the Glovers.

The opening exchanges were dominated by Wednesday with Madine denied by a desperate last ditch clearance from Paul Huntington inside the penalty box. The skipper, celebrating his 24th birthday today, was a rock at the heart of Town's defence all afternoon.

But he was powerless to stop Wednesday taking the lead in the tenth minute when McGoldrick, signed yesterday from Nottingham Forest on loan, headed in at the far post from a right wing cross.


Blizzard, starting for the first time, had already been missing from action for six minutes when the goal went in having a head wound attended to, when he left the field for good just twenty minutes in having taken a knock as he block tackled McGoldrick as he shot for goal.

The switch meant that Bondz N'Gala came on, pushing Max Ehmer out to right back with Luke Ayling taking over the defensive midfield role.

The match exploded into life on 27 minutes leaving a cloud over the rest of the match. As described earlier, Ayling volleyed the ball back towards the Wednesday penalty area after a drop ball was uncontested. However instead of letting the ball run through to his keeper, giant centre half Rob Jones intervened just as his keeper got to the ball and both players collided.


The ball then sprang free and Agard just about reached the ball before tucking it home into the empty net. The goal left visiting manager Gary Megson apopleptic and his players surrounded the referee although what Mr Brendan Malone was meant to do was quite something else.

Eventually play restarted with Jones replaced by Julian Bennett as he had been injured in the collision and within ten minutes the Glovers had turned things round completely. An Anthony Edgar corner was cleared to Ed Upson who headed it back into the danger area for Agard to turn and fire home past the helpless keeper.

Seven minutes of stoppage time at the end of the half signified just how annoyed Wednesday had been at the award of the goal and the sides exchanged chances in the time added on with Madine heading over and Edgar hitting a forty yard shot at O'Donnell.


The second half began with the Owls using their annoyance in the right way, by dominating possession again. Upson cleared off the line and keeper Jed Steer saved well from a follow up effort from Ben Marshall but again Town were undone from a cross on 52 minutes. Marshall swung in a corner and it was met by Bennett at the far post.

Five minutes later and Yeovil could have gone ahead when Agard, awarded man of the match for his display, dispossessed the cumbersome Reda Johnson and squared slightly behind MacLean whose shot lacked power and was held by O'Donnell.

New loan signing Gavin Massey came on for Alan O'Brien on the hour and the Watford youngster was immediately in the thick of the action as it looked like he was held in the penalty box by an Owls defender but nothing given.


The game resumed its niggliness from the second period as it started to get scrappy with Upson and MacLean both booked in a ten minute spell joining Nathan Jones for an earlier misdemeanour.

On 71 minutes came the decisive goal and it came following another cross from another free kick. Max Ehmer was cautioned for fouling Marshall wide on the left hand side and Marshall exacted perfect revenge by curling his centre to Madine at the back post to head in.

The two sides continued to scrap it out in the final quarter hour with Prutton sidefooting wide and Luke Buxton heading wide for Wednesday with Massey seeing a shot turned away for a corner, Ayling hitting an effort that was blocked and N'Gala heading over from a corner.

The result leaves Terry Skiverton's team back in eighteenth place though with games against Scunthorpe (21st) and Bury (20th) coming up next, he will be hopeful that a retunr to winning ways isn't far away.

    Data provided by Press Association


    For the first 50 years of their existence, England played their home matches all around the country.