Skip to main content


22:24 13th September 2011


A spectacular goal on eight minutes from midfield maestro Ed Upson was enough to give all three points to Yeovil in their battle with Wycombe Wanderers at Huish park this evening.

The ex-Ipswich man's second goal of the season was a sublime finish from thirty yards but the Glovers had to endure a nervy ending to the game and were indebted to a brilliant Jed Steer save with fifteen minutes left to retain the victory.

Steer's tip over the bar from an Andy Sandell free kick was one of few Wycombe chances in a game that saw the Chairboys come more and more into the game as it went on but ultimately leave Somerset pointless and the home side rise up to sixteenth in the npower League One table.

Following Friday night's 4-3 thriller at Preston, there was only the one forced change to Terry Skiverton's starting lineup with Kieran Agard starting in place of the sidelined Gavin Williams.

Yeovil started brightly and took the lead in the eighth minute. Luke Ayling made a typical lung-bursting run down the right hand side and pulled the ball back to Anthony Edgar. Hie in turn squared to Upson who fed Jones on the left. The assistant manager, playing his 500th senior game tonight, laid it off to Upson who hit a superb rising drive into the top left hand corner of the net.

It was a better effort than his wonderful finish against Oldham last month and in context of the result, a more important goal as it eventually earned all three points for the home side.

There was a worrying moment on eleven minutes as keeper Steer took a nasty knock as he bravely came out of the area to head clear and collided with Elliott Benyon. Both players needed treatment but carried on afterwards.

The Andy O'Brien / Edgar combination had worked for Yeovil's equaliser at Preston at the weekend and the two nearly made it two with a similar move but Edgar's half volley sailed over the bar.

Wycombe's most impressive attacking was coming from the lively Joel Grant and he pulled a shot wide after creating himself some space with a run across the face of the area.

Yeovil nearly made it two when Steve MacLean turned and shot against the top of the crossbar just after the half hour and visiting keeper Nikki Bull almost messed up a routine save from Agard's placed effort but it squirmed away for a corner.

Edgar then nearly set up Upson for a second with a corner laid back to the goalscorer but his swept shot was hacked off the line by defender Danny Foster.

The next three chances all fell to the visitors with Stuart Lewis's drive held by Steer, Leon Johnson's header going wide and Grant then curling another effort past the post.

Yeovil woke up a bit in the early stages of the second half with MacLean shooting at Bull and Edgar shooting over but it was far from one way traffic, the visitors lacking any clear chances to level matters.

O'Brien's pace, frightening at times, saw him pass Foster as if he wasn't there but after cutting inside, his swerving effort went over the bar.

With twenty minutes left, Agard was withdrawn for new signing Gavin Massey, a like for like change replacing speed with speed. The Watford youngster looked very impressive in his new surroundings and the Huish Park faithful warmed immediately to the eighteen year old.

One sour note of the evening came on seventy two minutes when Paul Wotton was booked for timewasting, incurring his fifth yellow card of the season and an imminent suspension.

Steer then saved his side with a fantastic save after Sandell curled in a free kick that seemed to elude everyone; the Norwich City keeper brilliantly tipping over and earning some well deserved praise from his team mates.

Massey worked hard up front in the final stages of the game and, with one impudent movement, left Foster for dead but sent his shot spinning just wide of the far post for what would have been a sensational debut goal.

Four minutes of stoppage time were played out without further ado and the three points from tonight set up the Glovers nicely for Saturday's visit of Sheffield Wednesday who tonight were thumped 5-1 by Stevenage.
    Data provided by Press Association


    For the first 50 years of their existence, England played their home matches all around the country.