Skip to main content


21:34 13th August 2011


A three goal second half blitz from Yeovil helped them to their first three point haul in npower League One against Oldham Athletic this afternoon.

Ed Upson's spectacular opener was followed later by a second from Andy Williams and a trademark penalty from Paul Wotton before a consolation Rueben Reid goal, also from the spot, in injury time.

It was only what the Glovers deserved as a triumph of style over physicality with some lovely flowing football moves in the second half as Town threatened to add more at times.

Manager Terry Skiverton, though commenting favourably on aspects of his side's performance at Exeter on Tuesday, still made three changes to his team today. Curtis Haynes-Brown, Anthony Edgar and Rory Fallon were replaced in the atarting eleven by Max Ehmer, Jonathan Obika and Kerrea Gilbert, making his Town debut.

The 3-4-1-2 formation was retained with Nathan Jones and Gilbert utilised as wing backs and a back three of Paul Huntington, Luke Ayling and Max Ehmer.

Jed Steer was called on inside the first minute to catch a Rueben Reid header while seconds later, Andy Williams sliced a cross behind the goal as Yeovil counter-attacked.

Up front, the formation using the pace of Andy Williams and Jon Obika was causing problems in the Oldham backline. Williams saw his shot blocked after namesake Gavin had set him up and the on-loan Tottenham forward was unlucky after his shot rebounded off himself and out for a goal kick.

Steer then denied Matty Lund's low drive but it was straight back up the other end and a brilliant block tackle from Ayling set up Obika again but his shot flew two yards wide.

The striker was on fire now and two minutes later, an error from Lund left him up against two defenders; he turned them inside and out but couldn't find the finish when it mattered.

Andy Williams then created space for himself and let fly with a shot from a narrow angle that Latics keeper Alex Cisak tipped on to the post and out for a corner but referee Gavin Ward, fussy at times, awarded a goal kick.

As the half closed, Athletic had two sights of goal. The first saw midfielder Filipe Morais volley wide from twenty yards while six minutes later, Matt Smith had a golden chance to give the visitors the lead but his close range header went over the bar.

Town came out in the second half in the same attacking fashion and deservedly took the lead just three minutes in. Gavin Williams was fouled thirty yards out; his free kick was blocked by the Oldham wall but fell to Ed Upson who hit an absolute peach of a shot into the top corner.

Town still had to guard against being caught at the other end and Steer turned a low, rising shot from Lund around the post for a corner.

Kerrea Gilbert, having a steady debut in the right wing back role, was next to try his luck from distance when Gavin Willaims slid a ball across the front of the penalty box to him, but his effort went wide of the far post.

The former Arsenal star then hit a blistering shot over the bar after good work from Jones and Obika down the left channel.

On the hour, the game flared up when Obika turned beautifully around Zander Diamond but was taken out late by the former Aberdeen defender who earned a yellow card for the challenge. It was Obika's last action of the game as he limped off with an ankle injury and was replaced by Kieran Agard.

The Latics were losing a little discipline and Lund went into the book for hauling back Jones as he motored away from his opponent.

With seventeen minutes to go came the second goal. Gavin Williams, at times back to his virtuoso best, made a searing, jinking run through the centre of the park, and having drawn the defenders, slipped the ball sideways to Andy Williams who slid home past Cisak.

Yeovil were firing on all cylinders now and Nathan Jones hit a fierce shot over the bar after Andy Williams had hit a cross over and Agard had touched it on.

Goal number three seemed on the cards by now and so it proved on eighty minutes. Agard slipped past Diamond but was fouled by the defender who had slipped on the turf. Agard reacted quickest, raced into the area and was brought down right on the byline of the penalty area by the covering defender. Referee Ward gave the spot kick and although Cisak got a hand to it, it was too powerful to stop from going into the net.

Rory Fallon came on to give a different dimension up front giving a break to Gilbert, in his first full match for several months and the big New Zealand forward almost grabbed a fourth but his shot sliced wide of the near post.

With five minutes of stoppage time to play, Oldham were awarded a spot kick of their own when Ayling brought down Josh Parker on the edge of the box. Reid slotted home the penalty though Steer guessed the right way but it was too little, too late for the Lancashire side.
    Data provided by Press Association


    For the first 50 years of their existence, England played their home matches all around the country.