Skip to main content


19:21 7th August 2011


Yeovil began their 2011/12 npower league one campaign with a 2-0 defeat at the hands of an impressive Brentford side at Griffin Park this afternoon.

A controversial 28th minute penalty from Gary Alexander and a 74th minute shot from Shaleum Logan sealed all three points for Bees boss Uwe Rosler on his managerial debut.

Yeovil's performance was at times patchy as manager Terry Skiverton attempted to gel his new look side together. The Glovers boss gave debuts to three players in Bondz N'Gala, Steve MacLean and goalkeeper Jed Steer although he also started with returning glovers Jon Obika, Gavin Williams and Max Ehmer.

Brentford settled into the match and Celtic loan signing Niall McGinn saw his shot blocked in the third minute. Yeovil then had a double chance of their own when Gavin Williams feinted one way then cut inside to shoot at Richard Lee who saved, before Luke Ayling's rebound shot was blocked.

Lee then saved again from Jon Obika after MacLean had headed down. Myles Weston shot weakly at the keeper before Jake Reeves curled a free kick over following a handball by Paul Huntington.

The first half flashpoint came on 27 minutes Shaleum Logan's cross from the right was blocked by Nathan Jones; with the referee happy to play on his assistant flagged for a penalty, the award appeared harsh and Paul Wotton was booked for protesting too much but referee Pat Miller was unswayed and Gary Alexander sent Jed Steer the wrong way.

The injustice sparked life into Yeovil and both Williams and Nathan Jones both missed the target. The final chance of the first period felled to Alexander who headed wide at the back post.

The home side began the second half in similar fashion forcing two quick corners but with no reward although marsel eger forced a great save from Steer from his cheeky back flick.

Skiverton made three changes within six minutes taking off Obika, Maclean and Ehmer replacing with Andy Williams and giving debuts to Rory Fallon and Curtis Haynes-Brown.

The Glovers were beginning to annoy referee Miller and both Ed Upson and Ayling received yellow cards when a warning would of sufficed. Steer then saved his team-mates twice in three minutes with brilliant saves. Firstly he tipped over Clayton Donaldson volley before then producing an even better save to deny Eger's header.

Gavin Williams fantastic solo run deserved better than just a corner which Fallon headed over but almost immediately the goal that killed the game and the atmosphere came.

A good team move building from the back saw Logan break down the centre of the park. He fed the overlapping Sam Saunders who returned the pass for Logan to finish well into the opposite corner.

The second goal finished the match scorewise but the visitors almost doubled their chance tally within those last fifteen minutes.

Gavin Williams twice fired over, Fallon headed downwards twice at the back post and Williams stung Lee's hands with a fierce rising volley all to no avail and Brentford should have made it three in stoppage time but Alexander hooked his shot over.
    Data provided by Press Association


    For the first 50 years of their existence, England played their home matches all around the country.