Skip to main content


14:59 13th April 2011


A brace from Dean Bowditch helped Yeovil Town on their way to a crucial 2-1 win in the nPower League One clash with Notts County. In a hard fought performance by the Glovers Bowditch struck either side of half time to take his goal tally to 13. After the game, Terry Skiverton emphasised how important the result was rather than the performance. "I think it's the worst we've played for a little while on the ball, and we've come away with victory.   "We knew how important it was and we couldn't afford to muck about in our own half with a team that was looking to turn us," he said. The game nearly got off to the worst possible start for Yeovil as Stephen Henderson's clearance rebounded in off of Lee Hughes in the opening minute. Fortunately for the Glovers, referee Andy D'Urso, judged that Hughes had used his hand to charge down the ball and disallowed the goal. Yeovil were barely given a sniff by County in the opening period of the match and a snap shot by Neal Bishop in the 12th minute crept just wide of Henderson's left hand post. Njogu Demba-Nyran came close to capitalising on a defensive mix up in the 17th minute. Max Ehmer and Adam Virgo's failure to communicate saw Demba go clean through but Ehmer managed to get back and make the tackle. Yeovil's first chance came in the 22nd minute with Oli Johnson drawing a superb save from Stuart Nelson after Jonathan Obika's flick on put him one-on-one with County's keeper. Five minutes later Andy Welsh's partially cleared cross fell to Bowditch on the edge of the area, but Bowditch could only fire over the bar. The Glovers took the lead in the 31st minute as Bowditch beat Nelson with a sublime half volley from the edge of the box after County failed to clear their lines. The away side could have equalised in the 43rd minute as Hughes beat Yeovil's offside trap to get in behind the defence, however Henderson managed to keep the County striker at bay. SECOND HALF Five minutes into the second half Yeovil found themselves back on level terms. Ben Burgess won the aerial battle in the Glovers box and John Spicer despatched a delightful volley past Henderson. It didn't take long for Yeovil to reply, though. In the 56th minute, a lovely move ended with Bowditch tucking the ball under Nelson to get his second of the game. Luke Ayling threatened in the 63rd minute as he ran at the County defence before shooting over. Substitute Craig Westcarr tried a shot from distance in the 75th minute but the ball flew harmlessly into the hands of Henderson. Ayling's brave block in the 78th minute denied David Martin from getting a shot in at Henderson's goal as County pushed on for an equaliser. County threatened again in the 87th minute when Martin struck a free kick that bounced around the box before being cleared. Yeovil could have had a third goal in stoppage time as Obika raced through on goal but was caught by the County defence. "It was good to get a result at home, especially for our supporters. They came out tonight, and they weren't entertained, but I think everybody in the stadium is really relieved to get the three points that we desperately needed. "My aim is to move the club forward and if we can get safe with three or four games to go I'll be very happy," said Skiverton. A more comprehensive picture gallery is available in our gallery section. By Ian Perkins
    Data provided by Press Association


    For the first 50 years of their existence, England played their home matches all around the country.