Skip to main content


23:22 7th May 2011


Yeovil Town completed their sixth season in League One with a thoroughly professional 2-0 victory over Carlisle United at Brunton Park this afternoon.

A goal in each half from strike pairing Jonathan Obika and Dean Bowditch secured all three points for the Glovers and raised them to 14th place in the table, their second best finish in their 116-year history.

Their finishing tally of 59 points had seen impossible at Christmas but a remarkable turnaround producing form akin to playoff chasing teams has seen Terry Skiverton's men end the campaign with six games unbeaten and just two defeats in the last dozen games.

Skiverton went into the match missing Paul Huntington who was available after suspension but who fell victim to a dead leg during Tuesday night's Somerset Premier Cup defeat to Weston-super-Mare.

Max Ehmer and Andrew Tutte dropped to the bench and were replaced by Adam Virgo and Ed Upson although both subs were involved in the proceedings earlier than expected.

The initial stages of the first half were nothing to write home about with the Cumbrians ahead on possession but actually level pegging on chances created. Liam Noble tested Stephen Henderson with an early long range strike and Craig Curran's shot whistled over the bar while for Yeovil. Andy Welsh curled an effort just wide nd Obika flicked a header straight at Adam Collin.

Ed Upson was replaced in a tactical change by Skiverton halfway through the half by Tutte but it was his midfield team mate Shaun MacDonald who was chief architect of the opening goal on 26 minutes.

MacDonald burst through the midfield space allowed him and rode a poor challenge by Carlisle's Paul Thirlwell before setting up Obika who brought the ball on to his left foot and supplying a neat finish for his third goal in his latest loan spell from Tottenham.

Carlisle were forced into a change just after the half hour when Frank Simek landed awkwardly on his elbow and was replaced by Tom Taiwo. The half ended with a chance apiece; Obika putting the rebound from a Tutte shot wide and Noble shooting just wide of Henderson's goal.

Craig Alcock went off at half time for the visitors, Max Ehmer deputising for him, and the Cumbrians made two early changes too bringing off Paddy Madden and James Berrett and replacing them with Danny Livesey and Rory Lloyd.

Luke Ayling and Bowditch tried their luck from long range around the hour mark with neither effort really troubling Collin in the home goal unnecessarily.

Halfway through the second half came the second Glovers goal and home fans may suggest an element of controversy surrounded it. Livesey and Obika tangled in the area with the former looking for a penalty but the Glovers broke at speed with Tutte leading a charge of three-on-one against the home defence.

He sent the ball wide and Welsh crossed it over for Bowditch to tap in his 15th goal of the season and the former Ipswich frontman now has 25 goals in 75 games, a strike record of one in three for Yeovil.

Having suffered a knock earlier in the game, he immediately came off with Nathan Jones coming on and winger Andy Welsh pushed up front for the final twenty minutes or so.

The game petered out a little with not much except pride and mid-table league positions to play for. Noble sent a dipping volley just over Henderson's bar while MacDonald sent a shot over the bar in the closing stages.

In the end, hard work and a terrific second half of the season has seen the Glovers fully deserve a seventh season in the third tier of English football and the manner of how they've finished the campaign will promise much for next season.

The League One table shows the Glovers ahead of the likes of Sheffield Wednesday and level on points with Charlton Athletic, both ex-Premiership giants, and only three points from a top ten finish!

    Data provided by Press Association


    For the first 50 years of their existence, England played their home matches all around the country.