Skip to main content


14:05 26th April 2011



Yeovil Town grabbed their second 2-2 draw in three days with a spirited performance against high-flying Peterborough United at London Road this afternoon. The point ensures npower League One football at Huish Park next season.

Paul Wotton had given the Glovers a first half lead from the penalty spot but an extraordinary last five minutes saw three more goals go in; Andrew Tutte's first for the Glovers in between strikes from Kelvin Langmead and Craig Mackail-Smith.


Yeovil were forced into two changes following Saturday's dramatic 2-2 draw against Bournemouth at Huish Park.

Both changes were in the heart of the defence with captain Paul Huntington missing the game through suspension after being sent off on Saturday while partner Adam Virgo was sidelined with an injury. Andrew Tutte came into midfield with Max Ehmer dropping back to form a pairing with Nathan Smith while assistant manager Nathan Jones came in for his first game since December at left back.


Peterborough made seven changes to the side that lost 2-1 at Leyton Orient on Friday though the big guns such as Joe Lewis, Craig Mackail-Smith, George Boyd and Ryan Bennett were all on the bench should the game not go to plan.

Posh flew out of the blocks and Lee Tomlin attacked the heart of the Glovers defence forcing a corner inside fifteen seconds though it was cleared.


Dean Bowditch forced debutant keeper Paul Jones into an early save while at the other end, Lee Tomlin curled a free kick over from twenty yards out after Paul Wotton had fouled Chris Whelpdale.

Peterborough came more into the game over the next ten minutes using the width of Nathaniel Mendez-Laing wide right instead of up front and David Ball playing an advanced role. Ball stabbed wide from eight yards out before the breakthrough came halfway through the first period.


Smith pushed a ball down the left channel which Jones ran on to, knocking it past the keeper who brought him down as the assistant manager passed him. Referee Craig Pawson immediately pointed to the spot and Paul Wotton deposited a perfect penalty into the bottom left hand corner of the goal.

Terry Skiverton's men were by no means under the cosh and were playing some decent football down both flanks as they sought to expose a Posh side, some of which had featured little in the current season.

Bowditch cut a shot wide on 37 minutes and at the other end, Gabriel Zakuani headed a corner over.


Lee Frecklington gave Town keeper Stephen Henderson a scare early in the second half with a low right footed effort but it was the visitors who had the better of the early play. Jonathan Obika shot over, Bowditch saw a shot parried and Shaun MacDonald fired a shot straight at Jones within the space of five minutes.

Posh chief Darren Ferguson had to change things and on the hour, he brought on Mackail-Smith, Boyd and Paul Taylor for the threesome of Tommy Rowe, Ball and Frecklington and immediately the hosts looked livelier up front.

Tomlin curled an effort wide of the far post before Henderson brought off a brilliant double save denying Taylor's deflected shot and Whelpdale's follow up header.


Then Posh came even closer when a shot from Tomlin deflected first off Craig Alcock then crashed against the post after a frantic scramble.

Just as it seemed the game would end up without further goals, it all exploded into life. With four minutes left, Posh levelled when, after Ed Upson had fouled out wide, Langmead volleyed the free kick home.


Yet within a matter of a minute, Town were ahead again when MacDonald fed Tutte through the right channel and the Manchester City loanee curled a beauty with the outside of his boot into the far corner for 2-1.

Incredibly, it was 2-2 just ninety seconds later when Mackail-Smith lashed the ball home after a corner had been poked to him by Zakuani. It was the frontmans 32nd goal of the season and proved his prowess in front of goal.


The game ebbed and flowed even after that but the scoring had ended and Yeovil Town are safe for another season of third tier football.

A more comprehensive collection of images can be found in our gallery section.

    Data provided by Press Association


    For the first 50 years of their existence, England played their home matches all around the country.