Skip to main content


13:09 26th April 2011



A stunning late fightback from ten-man Yeovil earned the Glovers a fantastic point in a 2-2 draw against playoff chasing AFC Bournemouth at Huish Park this afternoon.

An entertaining first half was then followed by controversy early in the second half when Yeovil skipper Paul Huntington was sent off for a second bookable offence.

Things got worse still when Bournemouth took the lead through a disputed penalty from Danny Ings and when the same player added a second halfway through the second half, it looked like curtains for the Glovers.

However a stirring late fightback saw a second penalty coverted by Adam Virgo with four minutes left and Shaun MacDonald powered home a header three minutes into time added on to rescue an unlikely, but fully deserved point.


Manager Terry Skiverton made two changes to the side that drew one apiece with Oldham Athletic last week. Oli Johnson's return to his parent club Norwich City and Luke Ayling's two match suspension meant thatb there was a place back in the eleven for Craig Alcock while Nathan smith returned to left back, pushing Max Ehmer into midfield.

The match began in a fashion as bright as the afternoon with both sides having plenty of chances to open the scoring. Paul Wotton tested Cherries keeper Shwan Jalal with a low, skidding shot and Andy Welsh's free kick deflected off Liam Feeney for the game's first corner.

Danny Hollands glanced a header wide on eleven minutes and another two minutes later as the game settled quickly into an end-to-end encounter. Jason Pearce then headed over and Harry Arter shot over the crossbar as the Cherries piled on the pressure.


But it wasn't all one way traffic at all. Dean Bowditch set up Jonathan Obika for a double effort, he shot straight at Jalal shortly afterwards and then shot wide of the left hand post from Welsh's layoff.

Nathan Smith, of all people, was next to worry Jalal with a fierce low effort that made the keeper parry away to safety and when Ings went down injured on 35 minutes, it gave everyone in the 6,150 crowd chance to breathe.

The game sparked to life again three minutes before half time when Arter lunged into Max Ehmer on halfway and was issued a yellow card although rather tellingly, Paul Huntington also saw yellow for his reaction after the offence.


Stephen Henderson then saved at the feet of Lovell as half time approached while Jalal then denied Obika who had wriggled free of his marker.

The second half began with Ings testing Henderson with a volley fifteen seconds into the second period but the main talking points came soon afterwards as the game turned in a controversial manner. Firstly, Huntington fouled a Bournemouth attacker wide of the penalty box, only his second fould and worthy, according to referee Tanner, of a second yellow card.

It was the second home game running that the Glovers have played a significant portion of the game with a man short and worse was to follow. Cherries midfielder Adam Smith burst into the area and fell down under the challenge of namesake Nathan.


Referee Tanner waved the penalty appeals away but after Adam Virgo had tried to pull Smith up from his prone position. The assistant referee on the Cowlin Stand alerted the referee and Tanner gave the spot kick from which Ings grabbed his first goal.

As Yeovil started to wilt, the Cherries went two up halfway through the half. A long throw from Smith was caught by keeper Jalal who bowled it out to Feeney on the left wing. The lively attacker burst down the left hand side and his sixty yard run ended with a pass to Ings to sweep home.

Twenty minutes of disaster that the Glovers hardly deserved had left them rocking and with a cluster of substitutions around the 70-minute mark from both sides, it seemed that damage limitation was the best the hosts could hope for.

However this Glovers side is built of stern stuff and after Bowditch had pulled a shot wide, the nine men (substitute Sam Williams was holding his arm after an accidental collision and in obvious pain), grabbed a late lifeline when Arter handled in the box and the assistant referee flagged for a penalty.


Adam Virgo buried the spot kick high to Jalal's left and the goal reinvigorated a tiring Yeovil side in the heat of the afternoon. Three minutes into the four of stoppage time, Henderson brought off a brilliant save to deny the Cherries a third killer goal and there was still time for a goalline clearance as the Cherries pressed.


Yet just as the time ticked over to the fourth minute, Yeovil won a corner. Dean Bowditch floated over a precise cross and Shaun MacDonald, rising like a salmon, powered home a header to level the scoreline.

An extraordinary end to an extraordinary match and the supporters that left with five minutes to go will be rubbing their eyes in disbelief tonight when they see another point chalked up in the Glovers bid for safety.

A more comprehensive selection of photographs can be found in our gallery section.

    Data provided by Press Association


    For the first 50 years of their existence, England played their home matches all around the country.