Skip to main content


15:54 17th March 2010



Yeovil slipped to their second successive away defeat when they went down to a 66th minute spectacular effort from Adam Clayton at Brunton Park tonight.

The goal brightened up a game that was average at best but had looked like petering out into a draw and hence a good point for the Glovers.

Manager Terry Skiverton was forced into making two changes from the side that beat Hartlepool at Huish Park on Saturday.

Midfielders Jean-Paul Kalala (injured) and Gavin Williams (suspended) dropped out of the team and were replaced by Scott Davies, making his debut after signing on loan from Reading yesterday, and Scott Murray.

The first half wasn't the most memorable in living memory with neither side particularly fluent on the bobbly Brunton Park pitch.


The first threat came from the home side when Richard Keogh's surging run down the right produced a cross that eluded everyone including the onrushing Jason Price.

It was Price who went even closer on nine minutes when his near post header went wide after a Graham Kavanagh corner kick.


Dean Bowditch had the Glovers first chance but couldn't beat Carlisle custodian Adam Collin with a low left foot shot at the near post.

Matt Robson was also looking threatening down the left flank and his cross to the back post was caught well by Glovers keeper Alex McCarthy. Paul Thirlwell scuffed a shot wide halfway through the half as the Cumbrians shaded the first period on points, if not goals.


The home fans almost had something to cheer about twice in five minutes as first Price and then Kavanagh had clear sights of goal but wasted chances to open the scoring.

It took 34 minutes for the Glovers to force their first corner and from Murray's flag kick, the ball was cleared to Scott Davies who blasted his shot high, wide and not too handsome.

The remainder of the half was scrappy with neither side's keeper employed any further than routine catches and collections.


The second half started with Yeovil pressing and they earned two corners in the first ninety seconds, neither of which came to anything. Terrell Forbes received a yellow card for fouling Robson as he was through and Kavanagh's volley was deflected for a corner as the Cumbrians looked for the opener.

Steven Caulker headed a free kick straight at keeper Collin on 56 minutes as Yeovil made a rare foray into their opponents danger area. Skiverton replaced like for like with Murray being replaced by Andy Welsh.


The winner came twenty minutes into the second half and it was a stunner. Sub, Marc Bridge-Wilkinson, on for Ben Marshall at half time, floated a corner over that McCarthy punched to the edge of his box. Adam Clayton controlled it and sent a dipping volley spinning over the keeper's head. It was a goal of such quality that it didn't belong to the game.


Arron Davies came on for Tomlin with twenty minutes left and the next ten minutes belonged to the Glovers with three half chances to level matters. Williams turn and shot was gathered by Collin, Shaun MacDonald fired a low effort just wide of the far post before Craig Alcock nodded wide at a corner.

Efforts from Caulker and Scott Davies near the end were token efforts and neither went close enough to trouble keeper Collin.



    Data provided by Press Association


    For the first 50 years of their existence, England played their home matches all around the country.