Skip to main content


21:52 26th January 2010


Yeovil's search for a second away win of the season proved fruitless again tonight when they were beaten by two goals to one at a chilly Prenton Park by a resolute Tranmere Rovers.

Second half strikes from Ian Thomas-Moore and Ash Taylor secured the win and Ryan Mason's 90th minute penalty was little consolation for a long trip up north.
Manager Terry Skiverton had made two changes going into the game with Keiran Murtagh and Nathan Smith coming in for Ryan Mason and Jonathan Obika, both dropping to the bench.

The first half was one of the most uninspiring halves of football Glovers fans have seen all season, albeit they were still on level terms with their hosts.

Dean Bowditch had Yeovil's first half-sight of goal but he sliced his shot well wide from twelve yards out. Neither side could claim authority as both were equally adept at conceding possession all too easily.

It took until the 21st minute for the visitors to force their first corner of the game but nothing came of it as the ball was easily cleared by the untroubled defence.

Three minutes later, Rovers had the ball in the net but the assistant referee had already flagged for an offside against goalscorer Chris Curran.

Terry Gornell had Tranmere's next chance but he couldn't get over the ball and hooked his shot well over. The same player turned and struck a left foot shot four minutes on but keeper Alex McCarthy had no trouble dealing with the effort.

Despite forcing three corners in the closing moments of the first period, Yeovil looked no more likely to score though centre half Steven Caulker flicked a header wide from the last of the flag kicks.

The game fired up briefly right on the half time whistle as Chris Shuker was booked for dissent and Paul McLaren saw yellow for hacking down Sam Williams.

Whatever team talk Terry Skiverton gave at the interval was rendered null and void within six minutes of the restart as Rovers hit the Glovers twice in quick succession.

First, Ian Thomas-Moore stabbed the ball into the corner of the net after a corner was only partially cleared to give Rovers the lead. The second came straight off the training ground. Nathan Smith brought down Thomas-Moore outside the box and a cleverly worked move between Curran and Chris Shuker set up Ash Taylor for the second.

Sam Williams tried dragging the visitors back into the game but saw his shot fly over but the goals had given Rovers belief and confidence lacking in the first period.

Twice the Glovers had half a shout for a penalty when first Nathan Smith then Williams were tackled in the box but referee Graham Salisbury was having none of it.

Ryan Mason replaced Murtagh just before the hour and Andy Welsh came on for Smith with twenty minutes left as Skiverton shuffled his pack to try to force the pace a little.

Jonathan Obika was brought on for Bowditch with twelve minutes left and he was to feature in the major talking point of the closing minutes.

Firstly Mason volleyed over then with the two minutes of stoppage time having just been shown, Obika raced into the area and was tugged down giving referee Salisbury no option but to award the spot kick. Mason was entrusted with the penalty and he hit home his sixth goal of the season but it was too little too late.

    Data provided by Press Association


    For the first 50 years of their existence, England played their home matches all around the country.