Skip to main content


14:25 27th December 2009



Yeovil stretched their unbeaten run to four games with a cracking 4-0 victory over an average looking Wycombe Wanderers side at Huish Park this afternoon.

Goals from Keiran Murtagh along with three second half strikes from Jean-Paul Kalala, Jon Obika and Sam Williams secured the victory although the Glovers were indebted to two brilliant saves in a minute from keeper Alex McCarthy (pictured) when the score was still 1-0.


McCarthy deservedly won man of the match although several players could stake a claim for the end-of-match bubbly in front of Huish Park's second highest crowd of the season.

The first fifteen minutes were scrappy with both sides tentatively playing the ball around on a pitch producing bobbles galore.


McCarthy was the first keeper called on when he held a John Mousinho curler but Yeovil came closest to scoring when Nathan Smith beat his marker and fired a low shot across goal.

Gavin Tomlin almost produced a goal to remember after chesting the ball, turning and volleying in one movement but his effort sailed wide.


On the quarter-hour mark, Dean Bowditch was set free and ran from the halfway line into the penalty area. As he was about to pull the trigger, a Wycombe defender tackled fairly to deny the in-form striker.

Ex-Glover Luke Oliver was first to see yellow when his poor challenge on Sam Williams was punished by referee East. Tomlin nodded the set-piece wide of Scott Shearer's left hand post.


Tomlin, looking impressive attacking from midfield, tried his luck from fully 35 yards out after Shearer had fluffed his clearance but the net wasn't troubled.

Just after the half hour, McCarthy made his first great save when he denied Scott Davies and had time to collect the rebound as Wycombe tried in vain to get going.


Within four minutes, the hosts had taken the lead. Ryan Mason swung in Yeovil's first corner of the afternoon, the ball was cleared out to Murtagh whose low, fizzing shot was diverted into the top of the net by a despairing Shearer.

Mason nearly added a second when his curler from thirty yards flew wide and Smith got in on the act but saw his cross drop tantalisingly wide of the far post.


The Glovers almost made a dream start to the second half but Shearer blocked Bowditch's shot just eighteen seconds in.

The Chairboys pushed forward and only a last gasp tackle from captain Craig Alcock prevented Jon-Paul Pittman from equalising. The visitors forced three consecutive corners as they pressed hard for the leveller.


Manager Terry Skiverton replaced Bowditch for Obika and it turned out to be somewhat of an inspired substitution.

First, however, McCarthy produced two blinding saves within sixty seconds. Initially, he tipped Oliver's looping header over the bar then repeated the feat again from Chris Westwood's flick.


The importance of the saves was proved just two minutes further on. Williams took a quick throw-in to Mason. He released Obika down the left and his low, scudding cross found Kalala to finish off at the far post.

Three minutes on and the creator turned scorer. This time, Kalala was involved as his through ball was slipped past Shearer by Obika for his seventh goal of the season.


Scott Murray came on for Tomlin with sixteen minutes left and six minutes later, Andy Welsh came on for Mason.

Murray's first action was to get a harsh booking for taking a free kick too quickly. When he did take it, he curled his effort just wide of the near post.

It mattered not as number four arrived shortly after. Again the ball came down the left hand side, this time from Welsh and his cross was knocked home by the tireless Sam Williams for his second goal in successive weeks.


The game ended with Kalala firing his shot well over as Yeovil searched for their fifth goal and Oliver seeing McCarthy denying him again at the death.

Overall, the match warmed the hands of the 5,055 hardy souls who abandoned the Boxing Day sales. It was a great advert for the flowing football often shown this season that hasn't always produced the goals to go with it.

    Data provided by Press Association


    For the first 50 years of their existence, England played their home matches all around the country.