Skip to main content


17:25 2th December 2009



Yeovil slumped to a dismal 3-1 defeat to Walsall at a wet and windy Huish Park tonight.

The visitors scored twice in the first half through Darren Byfield and Steve Jones before Jon Obika (pictured) pulled one back on the half hour.


As the hosts went looking for an equaliser, Sam Parkin broke and tapped home in the dying moments to send Yeovil to their second home defeat of the season.

Walsall had given Yeovil an early scare when lively striker Troy Deeney lobbed over an empty net following a mix-up between Terrell Forbes and Alex McCarthy.

It was no surprise when the Saddlers took the lead after six minutes. A cross from Steve Jones from the right wing was glanced home by Darren Byfield.

Yeovil replied with Danny Hutchins and Andy Welsh combined well but the chance came to nothing. Scott Murray tested burly keeper Clayton Ince with a long, floating cross that almost dropped under the crossbar.


On twelve minutes, Shaun MacDonald tried his luck from thirty yards but his shot wouldn't dip quickly enough.

As the rain got harder and the wind blew stronger, Walsall pressed further forward using the wind to their advantage and went two up on twenty minutes with a carbon copy of the first goal.

This time it was Deeney who got a cross in from the right flank and Jones looped his header over McCarthy and into the far corner.


Murray, on his 500th senior appearance, had two chances to score but saw one effort fly wide and another claimed by Ince.

Yeovil were much more into the game by now and pulled a goal back on the half hour. Craig Alcock controlled a George O'Callaghan pass beautifully, ran forward powerfully before slipping a pass through to Jon Obika. The big striker saw his first effort saved but slotted the ball into the corner.


Ryan Mason had the next sight of goal on 35 minutes but curled his shot wide of the far post.

Danny Hutchins received a harsh booking for fouling Byfield when the ball was out of play.


The hosts finished the first period on the up with Murray and Mason both prominent in attacks.


The second period began with the Glovers hoping to exploit the conditions which had played such a part in the first half and they did initially seem livelier.

The Mason / Obika duo created a chance for the latter but his effort was defended well and MacDonald also saw his half-chance stopped by a committed Walsall defence.


Terry Skiverton made nhis first change on the hour when Dean Bowditch replaced Welsh. It was Mason who was in the thick of the action though as first he shot over then he appeared to be brought down in the box, not given by referee James Linnington.

Sam Williams replaced Jon Obika with twenty minutes to go and the striker made a nuisance of himself in the air as per usual but didn't see sight of the goal at all.


O'Callaghan's bicycle kick went wide and Walsall's Mark Bradley's shot was stopped as both sides swapped chances.

With fourteen minutes left, the final shuffle of the pack from Skiverton saw a straight swap, Nathan Smith for Hutchins, and Caulker pushed up front to create havoc with his height.


Yeovil's last clear chance of goal came with four minutes to go. Chris Hutchins had just withdrawn Byfield and thrown on experienced striker Sam Parkin and as the Saddlers reorganised, Yeovil won a corner. The ball was cleared as far as MacDonald whose controlled, rising voilley was easily caught by Ince.


As Yeovil pushed further for a leveller, they were caught on the break. Substitute Alex Nicholls, only on the field for a matter of minutes for Deeney, broke down the right hand side and crossed. Parkin's shot was blocked but his follow-up crept over the line despite some pretty desperate defending.


Referee Linnington was unsure but the assistant referee flagged to award the goal.


All in all a bitterly disappointing, cold and wet night at Huish Park and the Glovers will have to step up a gear or two to get anything from Saturday's game at Milton Keynes Dons.


    Data provided by Press Association


    For the first 50 years of their existence, England played their home matches all around the country.