Skip to main content


10:44 4th November 2009



Yeovil were left to rue their first half missed chances as they were brushed aside by four goals to nil at Elland Road this afternoon.

Three second half goals from Max-Alain Gradel, Jermaine Beckford and Tresor Kandol added to a 42nd minute opener from Bradley Johnson as the Glovers recent good run came to an abrupt end.

The Glovers were the more impressive of the two sides in the first fifteen minutes and could conceivably have taken a lead inside the first ten minutes.


Jonathan Obika (pictured) was released over the top of the Leeds defence by his Tottenham team-mate Ryan Mason but his shot lacked power and was gathered by keeper Kasper Ankergren.

Mason himself was keen to have a go from distance but his effort from fully thirty five yards out didn't trouble the United keeper.


Leeds were looking sluggish in possession amidst a strangely muted performance and Mason tried his luck from way out on twenty minutes with an audacious chip that flew over the bar.

On the halfway mark, Andy Welsh curled in a trademark free kick which Craig Alcock met at the far post but couldn't direct his header towards goal.


Jean-Paul Kalala and Shaun MacDonald were proving very effective in breaking up the Leeds attacks and it was the latter who combined well with Obika to set the Spurs striker away. His shot lacked any real bite and Ankergren saved comfortably.

The home side had their first real sight of goal with twelve minutes left of the first period but Robert Snodgrass shanked his shot horribly wide.


Five minutes further on and Alex McCarthy was called into action seriously for the first time when he saved a free kick from Bradley Johnson. Johnson then went down inside the box looking for a hopeful penalty that the referee deemed unawardable.

Mason was continuing to look dangerous on the counter attack and he linked up with Sam Williams as they pushed forward but the big striker's final ball missed out Mason.


Just as half time approached looking goalless, Leeds opened the scoring. A harmless looking cross from Johnson deflected off MacDonald and into the Yeovil net. Initially it looked like Jermaine Beckford, unusually ineffective thus far, had got a touch but Johnson was given the goal.

In the final minute of the first half, Welsh received a yellow card for kicking the ball away in frustration.


The second half began as the first half had with Yeovil in the ascendancy though it didn't take the home side as long to impose themselves on play, Beckford seeing his goal disallowed for offside on 48 minutes.

Williams had the second period's first chance but got the ball caught under his feet while veteran Leeds defender Richard Naylor dispossessed Steven Caulker as he was about to pull the trigger.


Worried United manager Simon Grayson, architect of Yeovil's downfall as Blackpool boss in the 2007 League One playoff final, brought on Neil Kilkenny and Max-Alain Gradel for Hughes and Doyle and the change almost had an instant effect as Gradel's inswinging cross had to be turned away for a corner by McCarthy.

Jon Howson ran through and fired a shot that was smartly parried by McCarthy as Leeds stepped up a gear.


The second goal seemed imminent and two minutes later it arrived when Gradel was allowed time to turn and hit a sweet shot into the far corner.

Manager Terry Skiverton withdrew the tiring Welsh and replaced him with Keiran Murtagh as the Glovers went 4-3-3 in search of a fightback.


Beckford had another goal ruled out correctly for offside and Snodgrass hit his shot straight at a grateful McCarthy.

MacDonald saw his shot sail way over and it proved costly as Leeds added a third immediately.


Terrell Forbes, having a solid game at the back, was out-muscled by Beckford who ran on and curled a beauty into the top corner.

The prolific striker was immediately replaced by Tresor Kandol and the substitute scored the hosts fourth with a header after a cross from Snodgrass.


Williams had Yeovil's last chance but he glanced wide from a free kick and McCarthy kept out another effort from Snodgrass.

All in all, the manager will rue the fact that the Glovers had three good chances to score before Leeds took the lead and, at a place like Elland Road, you can't do that and not get punished.


    Data provided by Press Association


    For the first 50 years of their existence, England played their home matches all around the country.