Skip to main content


21:56 24th October 2009



Yeovil produced a superb second half performance to take all three points at a blustery Memorial Stadium this afternoon.

Goals from substitute Jon Obika, his first touch after coming on, and Terrell Forbes ( his first ever career goal) earned manager Terry Skiverton his first three point haul away from home since taking over in February.


The first half had belonged almost exclusively to the home side who attacked quickly and decisively down the middle getting the ball to the feet of strike pairing Chris Dickson and Jo Kuffour.

The Gas forced four cormers inside the first ten minutes with their pressure but only had half-hearted efforts from Chris Lines and Jeff Hughes to show for it.


It took almost a quarter of an hour for Yeovil to impose themselves, Shaun MacDonald winning a corner that came to nothing.

Rovers felt they had a shout for a penalty when Craig Alcock appeared to handle in the area but referee Neil Swarbrick waved away their appeals.

The Glovers had their own shout when Ryan Mason was upended in the box but again the ref was having none of it.


Lines was next to threaten but shot over when well placed and managed to repeat the feat four minutes later.

With half time approaching, MacDonald scared home keeper Mikkel Anderson with a fearsome shot that whistled wide of the keeper's left hand post.

Right on the half time whistle, Jean-paul Kalala went into the book for a late challenge on Lines, resulting in the young midfielder being stretchered from the field.


The second half began with Yeovil enjoying the benfit of a blustery wind but within sixty seconds they were behind.

A free kick wide on the right was flicked on by Danny Coles and Chris Dickson sneaked in at the back post to score his first home goal for the Rovers.

The Glovers felt they could well have had a penalty twice within a matter of seconds as first Sam Williams was clambered over in the box before Forbes shot deflected off a Rovers defender's hand in the box.


With fifteen minutes of the second half gone, manager Skiverton sent on Jonathan Obika for Scott Murray, the winger enduring boos all game for his eleven years down the road at Bristol City.

Obika's first touch was an absolute beauty. Williams was fouled for the umpteenth time wide on the right. Andy Welsh whipped in a swirling free kick which Obika glanced in for his third goal of the season.


Just three minutes later and the travelling hordes went wild as the Glovers added a second.

This time MacDonald was fouled in a similar position on the right flank. Welsh crossed again, this time with a lower curl on it, and Forbes bundled it in for his first goal after 366 appearances.

As the game wore on, the game opened up as Rovers pushed for an equaliser leaving gaps at the back.


The Glovers barely sat back and poured forward at every opportunity. Ryan Mason curled a free kick straight at Andersen and the same player sliced a shot wildly after being set up by Welsh.

The home side were still forcing corners but Yeovil defended doggedly and cleared with the defence outstanding.


Ten minutes remained when Obika slotted the ball home but to no avail as he'd been flagged offside by the assistant referee.

The away side's penalty area resembled the Alamo in the last period of the game but a resolute, tenacious attitude kept the home side out.


MacDonald had another final chance for Yeovil when his shot from twenty yards was fumbled around the post by Andersen.


The final whistled sparked joyous scenes betwen players, management and supporters alike. The team have now got twelve points from the last six unbeaten games and now reside in the top half.

The result now banishes to the back of the memory of the torrid evening back in February when Rovers humbled Yeovil 3-0.


    Data provided by Press Association


    For the first 50 years of their existence, England played their home matches all around the country.