Skip to main content


18:21 4th October 2009



People of Oldham will tell you that today was always going to be a historic day; the local rail line closes for two years as the Manchester Metro gets its latest improvements.

However, those at Boundary Park on what can only be described as a blustery October afternoon would put aside their travel plans for the visit of Yeovil Town.


The Latics bench was being warmed by a former loanee Jon Worthington whilst the Glovers squad didn't include former Oldham captain Stefan Stam who is still out through injury however Terrell Forbes, Craig Davies (pictured) and JP Kalala have had spells at Boundary Park.

The Glovers started with an attacking formation; Ryan Mason and Gavin Tomlin were giving support to loan striker Craig Davies whilst Shaun MacDonald and Kalala were playing a holding role in front of the back four.


During the early exchanges, it was the pace of Davies that was causing veteran Sean Gregan the most concern.

ldham's success was coming in the form of breakaway attacks and an Alan Sheehan free kick evaded everyone in the box, only for it to fall harmlessly to left back Nathan Jones.


Yeovil were still having the better of the play and MacDonald broke the defensive line with a pass to Tomlin, his cross resulted in a corner which Terrell Forbes could only blaze over the bar.

Tomlin was again in the thick of the action on 22 minutes when he rose highest to meet a cross from Andy Lindegaard, but his header went agonisingly over.


Yeovil, were on top and starting to look the most likely to score, Davies, Welsh and Mason combined with a lovely one-touch sequence, but Mason's shot was inches from the post.


It may have taken the best part of half an hour but Oldham were getting into their stride, Pawel Abbot, earned a corner which Sheehan again delivered with pace and conviction.

The first clear cut chance came with a long ball up front left Keigan Parker bearing down on the Yeovil goal, and despite looking in an offside position, got his shot away, but dragged it horribly wide.


The ball did find the net, and it was a Yeovil player who put it in, however Davies was adjudged to push the ball in with his hands after a collision with 'keeper Dean Brill.

With minutes to run, Oldham should have broken the deadlock; Chris Taylor had two bites at a reasonably easy cherry only to see his second attempt rise over an open goal.


Taylor was once again in trouble as MacDonald turned the unfortunate winger 4 or 5 times before whipping in a dangerous cross, this game was finely poised and either side could have gone into the half time break a goal to the good.

Half Time - Oldham Athletic - 0 Yeovil Town - 0


During the break it was the Lancashire side that made the first change, Worthington would get 45 minutes against his former side replacing Kevin Lomax.

Oldham's fans were starting to get onto their player's backs as error followed error; it was up to Yeovil to exploit them.


It was the Welshman MacDonald who was the starting the Glovers attacking moves, time after time, either a powerful run or inch perfect pass left the Latics chasing shadows.

Yeovil gaffer Terry Skiverton took nearly an hour to make his first change, Scott Murray came on to replace Mason who had run himself into the ground.


Murray was straight into the action and forced a free kick 25 yards from goal, Davies and Welsh lined up the kick and it was the winger who saw his effort fly just past Brill's upright.

Keigan Parker was busy at the other end creating Oldham's best chance of the half just a few minutes later; he just about beat the offside calls, but once again skewed his shot wide.


The 195 travelling fans were being treated to some excellent midfield play, however on more than one occasion; good crosses were not being met.


Danny Hutchins was brought into the game to replace Lindegaard as the game drew to a close; his first touch was to whip a dangerous cross in, one which Davies and Welsh were both close to getting on the end of.

The final change saw Nathan Smith replace Welsh who was one of Yeovil's hardest workers once again.The game was still on a knife-edge with both teams going for the win; the signal for an extra four minutes was greeted with cheers by both sets of fans.


The Glovers were searching for a second away result of the week and a third clean sheet in a row, but Oldham wanted their fourth straight victory.

The seconds were ticking and neither side wanted just one point.

In the end a 0-0 draw might sound like a boring affair, but one that could have ended 5-5. Skiverton will be the happier of the managers but even he may think he could have won this clash.

Ben Barrett

    Data provided by Press Association


    For the first 50 years of their existence, England played their home matches all around the country.