Skip to main content


21:59 12th September 2009


Ten-man Yeovil produced a stirring comeback to snatch a point with Stockport County at Huish Park this afternoon The Glovers, having lost keeper Alex McCarthy to a straight red card in the first half, fought back well and almost grabbed a sensational winner when Ryan Mason's shot whistled past the post in stoppage time.

Yeovil went on the attack from the first whistle and forced a corner inside twenty seconds though the kick was delayed for two minutes after County winger James Vincent received a nasty blow.

A second corner offered a chance to Jon Obika but the birthday boy headed just wide with his diving effort.

On thirteen minutes, a good move involving Obika and Andy Welsh came to nothing and two minutes later, the striker, celebrating his call up into the England under-20 squad, glanced his header wide from Mason's cross.

The Obika / Welsh / Tomlin trio created another chance for Welsh but his curling shot went over the bar.It was to be Welsh's last meaningful impact on the game.

A ball through from midfield sent County striker Nicholas Bignall away and as he poked the ball past McCarthy, he was brought down by the keeper. Referee Graham Scott, having awarded the penalty, had little option but to send McCarthy off.

Welsh was sacrificed to bring on sub goalkeeper Richard Martin. The ex-Manchester City gloveman could do nothing with Carl Baker's spot kick.

The goal seemed to knock the stuffing out of Yeovil for a while and the only clear-cut chance they created was twelve minutes later but it led to a goal. Keiran Murtagh's rising shot was tipped away for a corner by Stockport keeper Owain Fon Williams.

From the corner, the ball was cleared to Nathan Jones. The assistant manager floated a cross over, Steven Caulker nodded back across goal and Gavin Tomlin fired home an equaliser.

The game turned a little niggly when both Vincent and Obika were booked for late challenges but the game seemed to be heading into the break level when out of nowhere, County went 2-1 ahead.

Baker, already with eight goals under his belt this season, grabbed number nine when he turned and shot past Martin in first half stoppage time.

After the break, Yeovil's build ups were patient but not threatening and County looked slightly more dangerous going forward.

Liam Bridcutt, a Glovers loanee two seasons ago, curled a free kick into Martin's hands and the away side forced two corners as they pushed forward.

Manager Terry Skiverton sent on Sam Williams for Obika just after the hour and within five minutes, the big frontman had grabbed a leveller.

Good work from Jones had fed Mason and his low, driven cross into the area was met with a cracking header from Williams to make it two apiece.

With twenty minutes to go, the game was wide open again. Murtagh mishit a volley and Mason thought he had a shout for a penalty when he went down in the area.

Man-of-the match Jean-Paul Kalala, providing that bite in midfield missing for most of the season, almost hit a stunning winner when he saw his cross-shot tipped away by the keeper.

Both Tomlin and captain Stefan Stam, saw efforts saved by the keeper and with four minutes of stoppage time announced, both sides nearly grabbed a late, late winner.

Former Glovers winger David Poole, hit his shot just wide and Mason had his late effort too but manager Skiverton may well see this as a point gained rather than two lost as his team fought back well to snatch a deserved draw.
    Data provided by Press Association


    For the first 50 years of their existence, England played their home matches all around the country.