Skip to main content


20:28 12th August 2009


Yeovil got their League One programme off to the perfect start with a 2-0 victory over Tranmere Rovers at Huish Park this afternoon.

Goals from strike pairing Dean Bowditch and Gavin Tomlin set the Glovers on their way and the result never really looked in danger.

Tranmere had the better of the early exchanges though passing the ball around neatly and forcing Yeovil to chase after them in midfield. Dean Bowditch had the first sight of goal on six minutes when Ryan Mason almost set him up with a neat through ball.

The visitors forced three corners in the first thirteen minutes but didn't test the keeper at all.

Yeovil started getting their passing game together and a lovely move led to George O'Callaghan seeing his header tipped over by Tranmere's on-loan keeper Luke Daniels.

It mattered little though as within sixty seconds, Andy Welsh floated in a corner and Bowditch rose ahead of his marker to head home. Yeovil pressed forward again and Danny Schofield's left foot shot was saved well by Daniels. On the half-hour, Yeovil thought they had a fair shout for a penalty when Bowditch appeared to be bundled over in the box but referee Hall was having none of it.

Half-time came with O'Callaghan (Yeovil) and Ian Thomas-Moore (Tranmere) both hitting shots wide of the post.

The second half exploded into life almost immediately. Welsh's perfectly timed through ball set Bowditch away and as he was about to pull the trigger, Shaleum Logan cynically brought the striker down, landing awkwardly in the challenge.

Referee Hall showed Logan the yellow card, scant consolation as Bowditch had to be helped from the pitch having sustained an injury in the fall.

Schofield curled the free-kick wide of the far post.Sam Williams, who had come on for the injured Bowditch, almost made an instant impact with a swivel and turn before shooting three yards wide.

By now Yeovil were pushing more men forward and attacks were coming from here, there and everywhere.Ryan Mason's acrobatic pull back was met first time by Schofield who saw his rasping shot saved well by Daniels.

Williams had another chance but saw his shot blocked by a defender.Still Tranmere hadn't had a shot on target. Alan Mahon and Thomas-Moore both had chances but neither forced Alex McCarthy into action.

Tranmere were improving generally though but were finding it difficult to get past defensive colossus Steven Caulker and his partner, captain Stefan Stam, who were imperious at the back.

With sixteen minutes to go, Yeovil sealed the match. Mason burst into the area and was brought down just inside the box. Gavin Tomlin stepped up and hit his penalty in off the post.

The remaining chances in the game fell to Yeovil though Rovers did claim two more corners. Nathan Jones set up Schofield who let fly from twenty yards but saw his shot sail over.

Manager Terry Skiverton brought on Scott Murray and Andre McCollin for Welsh and Tomlin but even the introduction of new faces didn't affect the overall pass and move game that the new manager is installing.

Three points first time out is always welcome and the crowd of 4,349 will go home happy tonight after what was an impressive performance. Eight players made their debut today yet the team looked far from debutants.

Team: McCarthy, Jones, Stam, Caulker, Forbes, O'Callaghan, Tomlin, Welsh, Mason, Bowditch, Schofield. Subs: Williams (for Bowditch 50), Murray (for Welsh 84), McCollin (for Tomlin 89), Alcock, Martin, Murtagh, Smith (all unused)        
    Data provided by Press Association


    For the first 50 years of their existence, England played their home matches all around the country.